PDA

View Full Version : CDI part number/which one counts?

smokeyhonda
12-02-2004, 12:43 AM
I recently got an 84 200es, not running. Had to replace the igniter coil then the cdi to get spark. got a cdi off ebay for a 83 m or e I forget, same number on the sticker (969 over ci42) but the numbers on the black boxes are different, does it matter? The trike now fires and will run if you hold the throttle open, but runs kinda rough. I have to check the work on the "rebuild" that was put on the top end, as I am starting to seriously doubt the previos owners mechanical ability ( they botched the coil up bad and the decompress lever pulled out of the head when I moved it). I think I have some timing and carb work to do yet, but wanted to know about the cdi and if that could be throwing things out of whack.

jeswinehart
12-02-2004, 08:08 AM
i really don't think the cdi would be at fault ,,, if it works it works sorta of thing with those.
but i did notice you said something about a decompression release.
84 200es ( bigred ) don't have them. sounds like you got some transplant parts from another motor wich if it works ain't all bad.

john

smokeyhonda
12-02-2004, 10:04 AM
Turns out the cdi was from an 84es so it should be ok. I did get a cdi from a fourtrax with the same numbers (on the sticker). Haven't tried that one. Doesn't the cdi control the timing curve?

Howdy
12-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Doesn't the cdi control the timing curve?

I am 99% sure it does. I say this because I had a 84 ES I worked on a long time ago. The problem was no Spark. I replaced everything but the CDI box. Still no spark. I used a CDI off a 82 200e and it wouldn't work properly. The motor fired but just barely. I ended up searching on the net and found a good 84 ES CDI and bought it. Once installed the 84 ES ran like new. It could have been that my 200e CDI was bad also. It worked fine on the 82.
Howdy

jeswinehart
12-02-2004, 07:28 PM
sorry smokey ! when i posted this morning about the decompression release on your big red i must have not been very awake.
i got to thinking about it on the way home and looked my project 84es when i got home. sure enough ,,,, there is a decompression release on mine too !
what is even more embarrassing ,,, i put the top end back together about 2 - 3 weeks ago - lol.

humbly ,,,,, john

smokeyhonda
12-02-2004, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't have been surprised if it would have been the wrong head. I noticed it has a 180cc cylinder on it, does that make it a rare 185es? I think most of my problems are carb related now - the kit i used was for an 82/82e.

350x'inNY
12-02-2004, 11:09 PM
No... that means someone put a 185S top end onto a 200 motor. Not rare at all!

Bruce