PDA

View Full Version : YTM225 bottom end noise

RyanRX7
12-01-2004, 06:32 PM
I started up my YTM225 today and noticed a clunk sound in the bottom end. It sounds like it's coming from the right side of the engine (when seated on the trike) and the sound is relative to the engine speed. Any ideas? It also seemed like the thing didn't have as much pep as it used to, not sure if that is a related issue or not. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks guys

Dads
12-01-2004, 07:00 PM
does it seam to clunk clunk? like a rod bearing will do at top dead and bottom dead.
or clunk pos clunk

RyanRX7
12-02-2004, 12:22 AM
I would say clunk clunk. What would it be if it was a clunk pos clunk?

Quickonstep
12-02-2004, 12:26 AM
i would say its a rod bearing and thats what your getting... time for a rebuilllllllld!

Jesse

Dads
12-02-2004, 09:33 AM
No telling what a clunk pos clunk would be. but it would not be the crank shaft.
cranks go clunk clunk, rist pins go tick tick, valves clack clack clack.
Chipped gear teeth can sound like a clunk pos clunk.

RyanRX7
12-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Rod bearing sounds like it might be it, how hard are those to do? I've never really gotten into a 4 stroke. Thanks

Quickonstep
12-02-2004, 03:54 PM
its not that hard, just gotta watch when you pull the head, the push rods are gonna fall.. just keep them in the same holes... mark everything, keep bolts you take outta the head together... etcetc... LABEL EVERYTHING! invest in some good baggies..

Youll need a rod bearing kit, and while your in there you might as well do it right and rebuild the whole thing... id just get a new piston, new gasket kit, bearings, seals... if you need any help, dont be afraid to ask.

Jesse