PDA

View Full Version : don't laugh!!! how do you use an auto clutch?

mikey's250sx
12-01-2004, 04:46 PM
i've had dirtbikes and a few streetbikes and am picking up a 250sx on friday. i've found out they have an auto clutch. how's that work? do you just match engine rpm's and shift? do you have to shift into neutral to stop? i feel kinda silly asking but i have never seen or ridden with this set-up.
thanks

mikey's250sx
12-01-2004, 04:47 PM
here's a pic

Blown 331
12-01-2004, 04:48 PM
It's centrifugal. You just shift like a dirtbike but you don't have clutch lever to pull. If you want to stop you let off the gas and it disengages you can let off in 5th gear and you will coast to a stop but then you'll want to shift back down to 1st to take off. Make sense. You'll get the hang of it immediately, nothing to it.

mikey's250sx
12-01-2004, 04:51 PM
cool thanks. if i'm winding it out in 2nd and i shift into 3rd will the rpm's stay up or will they drop significantly?

Kintore
12-01-2004, 04:53 PM
Start in Neutral, then push down on the left pedal with your foot. Now your in first and give her gas to go, when going to other gears let off gas and repeat with the left pedal. When slowing down let off gas the put your foot under the pedal and go up. Pushing down goes up(1,2,3,4,5) putting your foot under goes (5,4,3,2,1)

there ya go, what year is the SX? have fun with it, mind if I ask how much your buying it for?

mikey's250sx
12-01-2004, 04:58 PM
it's an 85
i'm paying 150 and an old laptop i don't use anymore.

bigredhead
12-01-2004, 05:40 PM
By the way.

the SX.. since i have one... great bike btw !!

From neutral you shift up for 1st, 2nd .. ... and down to slow down, like the new quads adn what not.

my big red is the oposite and it's weird going from one to the other.

Autoclutch .. real simple.. to take off stay off the gas, just hit the shifter then hit the gas.. don't gas it when you shift or you will wheelie ( not that it's a bad thing !! ) and rev it up.. let go of gas, shift, rev... simple as can be !

almac16
12-01-2004, 05:55 PM
Also note that Reverse is 1 DOWN from Neutral and depending on the bike you may or may not have to hit the little button on the left side brake lever and pull the brake before it will shift into reverse.

Double check that because some bikes are geared so you no longer have to pull the brake lever to go into reverse and you could accidentally go into it when shifting down

threewheelin-feelin
12-01-2004, 06:26 PM
Start in Neutral, then push down on the left pedal with your foot. Now your in first and give her gas to go, when going to other gears let off gas and repeat with the left pedal. When slowing down let off gas the put your foot under the pedal and go up. Pushing down goes up(1,2,3,4,5) putting your foot under goes (5,4,3,2,1)

there ya go, what year is the SX? have fun with it, mind if I ask how much your buying it for?
depending on the bike it might be.... up for 1,2,3,4,5 and then down for5,4,3,2,1

BIGCRIP28
12-01-2004, 08:13 PM
pretty sure the 85 Sx is up 1,2,3,4,5 (down reverse)

TTribaLL
12-01-2004, 09:59 PM
pretty sure the 85 Sx is up 1,2,3,4,5 (down reverse)

I have never seen a machine where you could directly shift into reverse(other then a vehicle..obviously)...

All of the machines required you to pull a lever, or turn a knob thing(like the 200es).

threewheelin-feelin
12-01-2004, 10:04 PM
I have never seen a machine where you could directly shift into reverse(other then a vehicle..obviously)...

All of the machines required you to pull a lever, or turn a knob thing(like the 200es).
yes but you press down after you pull the knob or pull the lever :D

azhondagrl
12-01-2004, 10:06 PM
I just recently got rid of my 85 sx, the gears are down for reverse, had to push in the little button the leftside of handlebar. then up was Superlow, then 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th, or 1,2,3,4,5 as most people call it. hope this helps.

almac16
12-01-2004, 10:25 PM
It is very easy to bypass the "little button". All that does is ground the reverse switch that comes out of the bottom of your motor on the right side. Sooo.... take that wire and ground it yourself and your "little button" is permanately engaged. I've seen lots of people do this (including myself) when the trike has no brakes and sometimes not even a brake lever!

ATCnut
12-01-2004, 11:31 PM
I must disagree about grounding the wire. The wire is for the reverse light. The button on the rear brake hand lever pulls a cable that allows the tranny to shift into reverse. the concept is that you have to pull the rear brake to pull the reverse cable, so the trike will be stopped. Shifting the tranny into reverse while the trike is moving is not something that you will do very many times without splattering the tranny.

mikey's250sx
12-02-2004, 08:20 AM
wait a minute.... the rear brake is on a lever?!?!?!?!? it's not on a pedal under my right foot? is there no foot pedal on the right? this will take some unlearning.

BIGCRIP28
12-02-2004, 09:41 AM

Yeah i know. First you push in the little red button with the R on it on the left brake lever perch then you pull the lever back while it is down an push the shift lever down. If you want to go back to neutral just lift up.

BIGCRIP28
12-02-2004, 09:43 AM
wait a minute.... the rear brake is on a lever?!?!?!?!? it's not on a pedal under my right foot? is there no foot pedal on the right? this will take some unlearning.

there is a hand and foot lever to operate the back brake.
:D

bigredhead
12-02-2004, 09:44 AM
Foot brake on the right... shifter on the left.

You ENGAGE the reverse gear from the left hand brake assembly by pushing the red button down, pulling the lever THEN kick down for reverse. let go of the leve to release the brake, and to go forward again shift UP for neutral, Up for SL,1,2,3,4.. then Down for 4,3,2,SL, N.

SL = Super Low, consider it 1st of 5 gears.. but that's how honda lists it !