PDA

View Full Version : 200X runs till warm then siezes up

SmokinX
11-29-2004, 12:54 AM
Just picked up an 85 200X for $50 last fall and just started screwing around with it. Previous owner said it started to make a noise so he shut'er down and didn't run it for couple years. I put new gas, plug, pulled and cleaned very dirty carb, and changed the oil. Starts on first or second kick with half choked carb. I can run'er for about 5 minutes thoough all the gears and then she dies suddenly. Almost like it siezes up after it gets warm enough. After thats it's very hard to kick over. Almost like something trying to stop the piston from moving. If I step on it hard enough, it seems to loosen up but it won't start no matter how many times I kick it. When it's cold, it's starts right up again and the process is repeated. Just this last time I heard a high pitched squeal for about 2 seconds before she siezed. Anybody else ever had or heard of this problem? I hope I can cure this problem without a total tear down but I think it's doubtful. Could it be cam chain/tensioner, rod or cam bearing, oilpump failure. I did look in plug hole and it looked like top of piston was a little sludgy. I also looked at both valve through top of head and pretty clean in there and seemed to operate fine when turning engine over. Again, any help would be greatly apprieciated.

MTS
11-29-2004, 02:35 AM
the cam could be siezin up in the journal casued by a bad oil pump, one way to check is to take a valve cap off starter er up and watch the oil spurt out, if it stops when its waremd up then you know its the oil pump, it might be worth a ventur to just pop the cam out to see what it looks like, its pretty easy to tell if its not getting oil, all you have to do is take off the cdi loosen the cam chain or the cam gear bolts on the cam and then it just pulls out

Mudder F er
11-29-2004, 09:58 AM
I had a very similar problem almost sounds identical. My advancer (the magnetic thing hooked on to a spring inside of the pulse generator) would get stuck then free up. It was getting stuck on the little pin from the camshaft. Im still having a similar problem It seems that the pin isnt catching the Advance unit so it tends to get stuck out of the notch. Im going to get a new camshaft but that was my problem.

SmokinX
11-29-2004, 10:27 AM
I took the front valve cover off this morn and kicked her over. Started on first kick again (man, I wish my 350X started that easy!) I watched exhaust valve with flashlight and didn't see any oil shoot anywhere. It looked pretty dry. Not even a little oil standing in there. How much should be spurting up. I only left it run for about 3 minutes at high enough rpm's to get her warm. If oil pump is not working at all, could the cam be heating up enough to expand in the guides enough to sieze enging till it cools down? If it's the oil pump, how tough is it to change? I don't have a manual but I do have one for the 350X. Is it a identical (or atleast simular) process to change as the 350X ? Where could I pick one up and how much $. Thanks again for the help guys. I've been watching this forum for over a year now and this is the first time I had to post cause all of the solutions for my past problems were already answered in previoius posts! I also did exhaust conversion from the Cobra to the 450R with great results. Keep up the great work guys and again, thanks for the help!

MTS
11-29-2004, 01:40 PM
how dry was it in there? there should be some oil on the rockers at least, what genrally happends with the 200's i find is that the little bushin on the end of the cam will sieze up when its not getting oil, my friend has done this 2 times with his 200s becuse some of the dowlpins on the head and the oil ports got clogged with silicone so it wasnt getting vary good lubrication, im not sure how you take the pump off of a 200x

Glenn J
11-29-2004, 03:09 PM
To get to the pump on the 200X, you'll need to remove the right side case cover. It's not that bad to access at all.

SmokinX
11-29-2004, 09:36 PM
I took off both valve caps and ran agian tonight and still bone dry with no oil what so ever. So I've came to the conclusion that the oil pump is shot or oil passages are plugged. Don't have 200X manual but the 350X manual says it could be "clogged oil passage" or "clogged oil control oriface". How many oil passages are going to the valve train? I'm just thinking if there's more than one, what are the odds that both are plugged thus reinforcing bad oil pump theory. Any way to test oil pump without taking head or side case off?

MTS
11-29-2004, 09:58 PM
it just sounds like a bad pump, it could have been cloged when re-built becuse the oil travels up one of the right side head studs, if the guy who re-built it used silicon, it could have pluged it up, but besides that then i would just pull the right side case off to get at it, and you need the special spanner wrench to get the oil pump off, and just re-build it or get a new one

SmokinX
11-29-2004, 10:33 PM
Must be the pump cause I'm almost positive that it's never been rebuilt. What kind of spanner wrench and can I get away with using or making something else? If not, where can I buy or rent one. Does honda still carry oil pumps for the 200x and about how much? Thanks again for the help.

kilabeez0
11-29-2004, 11:06 PM
Def the pump. Not hard to change. when i bought mine it had a bad cam and bearing. It took me like a half hour to bang and chisel the bearing off the end of the cam. I ordered a brand new cam and bearing from honda. kinda wished i had waited for an ebay special but i was impatient. for the oil pump i was able to unscrew mine with needle nose pliers. I still couldn't tell why it didn't work though.

speed20
11-30-2004, 12:16 AM
SmokinX i believe i still have the socket for the oil pump nut, PM me and maybe we can make a deal.