PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

beaterbiker
01-11-2003, 12:23 PM
Got a front brake line, and its full of brown fluid. I would like to clean it out. Will it hurt it to dunk it in kerosene? Maybe let it soak?

Also, I have a chain that is pretty crusty, was thinking of dunking it in 90 weight and letting it soak as well, or would I be better off just ordering a new one?

Anyway, thank you guys for your time!

ATCnut
01-11-2003, 06:51 PM
I would not put the brake line in anything but brake fluid. Brake fluid is easily contaminated, and does turn brown when old. I would just flush it good with clean brake fluid, if it is not plugged up you should be good to go.

On the chain, if it is a O-ring chain, you do not want to soak it in anything, 90 wt may cause the 0-rings to detereoate.

waterfowler
01-11-2003, 08:18 PM
I would agree with ATCnut, the brakes are easily bled and brake fluid is pretty inexpensive.
As for the chain, I have a NON-Oring chain, and when they get dirty/rusty, I soak them in Simple Green for about 1/2 hour, wipe them off real good, let it dry for about a day then lube the hell out of it with WD-40. This has done pretty well for me, however as I understand it O-ring chains need a little more care.

mudfreak99
01-12-2003, 03:08 AM
I always ride by the terms "better safe then sorry" I would replace the chain, instead of taking the time to soak it in anything... You could soak it, but I always like to carry an extra chain with me just in case... if you go this route I would soak it and buy a new one... keep the new one as a back up if you ever break the one that you have...

ATCkrazy
01-12-2003, 09:01 AM
junk the old chain!! I cant count how many times I've had a old chain pop off wile I was rideing,it's not a bad idea to replace the rear sprockets at the same time.

ATC crazy
01-12-2003, 01:14 PM
I say if the chain needs replacement then the sprockets do too. Steel braded brake lines would be a great replacement if you ride where sticks are always grabbing at them and if they are available for your machine and you want to pay a little bit more.