PDA

View Full Version : Part number for thread repair kit (spark plug)

lilatv
11-27-2004, 12:23 PM
I would like a part number and source for a spark plug thread repair kit, either heli coil or a thread insert, inserted the spark plug and it kept turning and turning...:)...thought I was taking my time and never overtightened but needless to say, the threads are gone. I have tried locally, even motorcycle shops and noone sells them or thinks they can get them. Its for an atc70 very small plug for sure, for reference the spark plug number ngk brand is C7HSA.

I did a search on dr atv but seems nothing came up, I may have not worded it correctly but I did use the terms "heli coil" and "thread insert", so who knows? Any help appreciated thanks.

Billy Golightly
11-27-2004, 01:13 PM
I'm pretty sure www.mscdirect.com carries metric heli coils. You will have to know your diamater and thread pitch though. If you dont know, try taking it by a local machine shop and see if they will spec it out for you.

TimSr
11-27-2004, 01:22 PM
After you look around at kits prices you might want to consider a used head. I can fix you up with one for $60.00 shipped to cont. U.S. Just shoot me an email if youre interested.

VABCH350X
11-27-2004, 01:54 PM
When I was a kid I did the same thing to an XR100. My Dad ended up drilling the hole out and tapping it to the next larger size. Then he cross referenced to a larger plug with the same specifications as the stock one.

It worked flawlessly for many more years, though I have no idea how he kept metal shavings out of the cylinder. Something to consider,
-Paul

lilatv
11-27-2004, 06:46 PM
TimSr

I will keep that in mind.

HondaATC and VABCH350X

Thanks

Phroziac
11-27-2004, 07:21 PM
When I was a kid I did the same thing to an XR100. My Dad ended up drilling the hole out and tapping it to the next larger size. Then he cross referenced to a larger plug with the same specifications as the stock one.

It worked flawlessly for many more years, though I have no idea how he kept metal shavings out of the cylinder. Something to consider,
-Paul

The only way to keep everything out for sure is to take the head off to do it. You'll need to replace the headgasket when you do this.

A tap and drill set is usually around 6 bucks. That'll be the cheapest way to do it, unless you find a trike in the trash with a good head, lol.

350red
11-27-2004, 07:33 PM
I bought a heli coil kit off e-bay for my daughters atc70, it was a while back but I'm pretty sure the threads were 10mm x 1.00 thread pitch x half inch long . It took me a couple of tries to get it right, but it was fairly simple to do with the kit.

lilatv
11-27-2004, 10:59 PM
350red

Do you remember who the seller was? I know dratv has many listings, could it have been them? If so I might have to e-mail them. Thanks

350red
11-28-2004, 12:05 PM
I can't remember the seller, I just typed in Heli Coil in the search, there was three or four of the kits at the time.