PDA

View Full Version : Weird 200x Problem

3Wheeledheaven
11-27-2004, 10:22 AM
First Post and may I say congratulations on such a great forum!!! About 3 weeks ago I bought a 84 honda 200x for $500, supposed to have a fresh top end on it and told it has been bored 50 over. Unloaded it off the truck and it cranked 2nd kick and ran like a scalded dog!!! I rode it for bout 2hrs and then ran out of gas. Filled it back up and cranked it then it started backfiring and spitting back through the carb. I Shut it down and it had no compression! Well I figured it had jumped time and just put it up for a later project.. well yesterday A friend came over and we pulled it out for him to look at, he kicked it over and it had compression!!! It cranked 2nd kick and was ridden for bout 15min and then it died again... same problem... with no compression... Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong before I tear into this bike? If it had jumped time I wouldnt think it would develop compression and crank again... A Stuck Valve hopefully?

84honda 200X
11-27-2004, 11:38 AM
It kinda sounds to me like the exhaust valve is stuck open just a little bit. Id check the valve adjustment if they are to tight. Im not sure if that would cause a problem like this but thats what i would do.

3Wheeledheaven
11-27-2004, 11:54 AM
It kinda sounds to me like the exhaust valve is stuck open just a little bit. Id check the valve adjustment if they are to tight. Im not sure if that would cause a problem like this but thats what i would do.

It sounds like a valve problem to me also now... I'm not gonna have a chance to get into it till next week. Ive never been much of a bike mechanic but have rebuilt a few chevy motors.... it just puzzling... never seen this and wanted some input from everyone.

Also if someone would direct me to a reputable place online to order a front tire for my 250sx I would be most appreciative... I Already have had a bad experiance with this company... http://tire-science.com/ they sent me the wrong tire and i am having a bad time with them getting support.... Like bout 7 days till I got any kinda response from them....

vartiak15
11-27-2004, 02:20 PM
spray some ace lube in the exhaust port and intake port(or just one i forget what one) thats what we did for a 350x that sat for about 5 years and it help alot.

atczack
11-27-2004, 03:45 PM
3wheeledheaven,
Had same problem with my '85 200x. I sprayed liquid wrench (probably not the best) in the underneath side of the valves and worked them. I changed the oil and never had another problem. Also, try denniskirk.com for your tire.

vartiak15
11-27-2004, 03:55 PM
dennis kirk is the most $$ place to get tires. get them at rocky mountain atv. cheep as dirt.