PDA

View Full Version : Honda 70 ATV carb problems

joeyson
11-26-2004, 10:05 PM
HELP... I pulled my 1983 Honda 70 atv out of storage.. It won't start... and the throttle was stuck...I replaced gas...won't start.. to see if I had a carb problem I put gas in the cylinder and it starts for a few seconds...so I took apart the carb and soaked it in gas and messed with the mixture screws... this fixed the throttle... but,still no go.. even after putting it in 4th gear and riding it down a hill...

Does anyone know what the mixture screws are supposed to be set at(turns)? There appears to be 2 screws.. are they hi rpm lo rpm?

Should the honda start while in gear? (like a push start)

Thanx in advance,
Jerry

ClayW
11-26-2004, 10:32 PM
Those 2 screws are the air and fuel screws. I will try to find my manual tommorow and get the proper adjustments for you. My daughters 70 was VERY tempermental when I first got it.

joeyson
11-30-2004, 01:13 AM
Thanx, LilATV gave me some recommendations but I had no joy... I'd appreciate any info that you could get from the manual. Thank You.

hondaATCman
11-30-2004, 04:53 PM
How long was it left it storage without being started?? Chances are the carb is clogged up and all fuel pagges blocked. You need to let the carb set in a bucket of carb cleaner overnight after all plastic/rubber parts are removed.

TheOlderFox
11-30-2004, 05:27 PM
If the carb is adjusted you can push start it. I don't know for that model, but typical places to start with the adjustments are around 1 1/2 turns out for the air and 2 1/8 turns out for the idel. Maybe that will get your started until some else can post using the manual. If you can, blow air through everything too to make sure it is clean and clear.

jmsmilin
11-30-2004, 08:47 PM
a new carb is sooo worth it, just $100 new for stock ones from dr atv, never have a prob again-for a long time anyway

thefox
11-30-2004, 09:39 PM
The air screw stock setting is 1 1/8, check out the sevice manual (http://www.3wheelerworld.com/ServiceManuals.shtml) page from the main site.

KASEY
11-30-2004, 11:15 PM
the air screw has NOTHING to do with not starting,,,, your not getting gas to the cylinder,, which you proved by squirting gas in and it started,,,,, your petcock,fuel screen,pilot jet, and main jet need to be cleaned and then it will start,,,,, :D :D :D :D