PDA

View Full Version : Ballon tires,,how bad of damage can be repaired,,,

wurthless
01-11-2003, 01:33 AM
I have all three , two of them leak at the valve stem ( will just get a new valve needle i guess) and have quite a few weahter checks in them, the third has a sidewall puncture that was patched but the patch failed. is this normal :?: or can you do a good job of patching them and how, cna you fill them with stop leak :?: thanks for your help,,,,Mike

ATCnut
01-11-2003, 01:54 AM
When you have these kind of problems, the best (and probably only reliable) solution is tubes.

84250r
01-11-2003, 02:58 AM
I agree 100% with ATCnut

Dirtcrasher
01-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Although a new tire isn't the cheapest it is the easiest. Maybe it's only me but when I ran tubes in my 200X's and a couple of years ago in the 250SX all I had were problems. You only run about 4lbs of air in there so the tire sometimes spins on the rim and rips the dam stem off. At the least it seems like every time I went riding the valve would start at 12:00 and end up bent over 45 degrees when I came home. The best tip I had from a Honda dealer was to double nu the stem LOOSELY allowing the stem to move some so you can reposition it. If it's tight to the rim it will surely tear off. I had tires so dry rotted that I looked down and saw the tube popped out of the tire - that ended that day! Side wall leaks never repair well but tire plugs work nice on the treads.

Howdy
01-11-2003, 01:29 PM
With "Ballon" tires you can't tube them. The True Ballon Tires are the old Honda ones ( 1974 and older ). These are the one piece tire and rim. The size was 22x11x3.5 tire and rim. The tire is molded to the rim at the factory. Patching these tires can be hard, but not impossible. Fixing the valve stems are a different story. I don't see how that would be possible.

What I ( and lots of other people ) have done is to get a set of hub adapters and put newer style tires and rims on there. The only other optin is to find replacement tires. Every now and then you see some on Ebay. They can get costly. I sold one on Ebay and it brought $80

Thanks
Howdy
P.S. I may have some to list on Ebay soon ( If the deal goes through ).

TimSr
01-11-2003, 01:43 PM
Reminds me of my utility, which had a hole in the sidewall big enough to stick a ratchet handle through. I put about 4 plugs in it (folded). Over a period of 8 years, my brother once hit a log sideways just right, and pulled them out. I put a few more in that day, and thats how it was when I sold it a few monthes ago. Good plugs will work in a sidewall punture, and really, what do you have to lose by trying it? As for teh valve stems, my replacing the needle, I would then assume that its not leaking at the valeve stem, but rather THROUGH the valve, and tubes are going to help much. This is very common, because you get dirt in them and they will leak. Simply remove the valve core, and clean it up, and when you put it bak in, it will work fine usually.

01-11-2003, 01:48 PM
I'm not sure what tryke you are putting them on, but we have bought some tires for older ATC 90's from this guy----> http://atc90.tripod.com/hondaatc90/id2.html ...Depending on what we bought, they ranged from about $75 - $125. Hope this helps.

01-11-2003, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the imput, I was reffering to the old balloon type tire that is all one piece, not tubealbe (is that a word 8) ) any way about the new style tires and wheels you can get bead lockers. they fix the problem of tire slippage on the rim check out "Jim Lucky ATV at 1-800-233-2637 and tell'em Wurthless sent ya,,he may be on-line now I-m not sure. Where can you get the adapters for putting on new style rims on the old hubs :?: :?: :?: thanks again,,,,MIke

PowerTrike
01-12-2003, 12:56 AM
If you cant tube em. Try GUNK! a tire sealant thats supposed to work pretty good.

you can find gunk @ jcwhitney.com (i think) or just about anywhere :)

BLAZERONE22
01-12-2003, 01:22 AM
Yeah I put that green stuff in my wifes 200s front tire and its never gone flat. I think she picked up another couple holes and the green slim just plugged them up. So I keep putting off buying her another tire.