PDA

View Full Version : '84 125M carb pouring fuel from venturi and bowl hose.....

MO350X
11-26-2004, 12:11 AM
I posted this recently and was told to rebuild the carb..
I did and it the rebuild went perfectly.
Problem is, the same problem still exists.

The moment I attach the fuel hoses the fuel begins a steady dribble out of the bowl "vent" hose and into the carb. venturi.
HUGE mess.

The trike barely starts this way and dies shortly thereafter.

Needle sounds bad but it's a perfect NEW one.

How would you know if the needle's SEAT was bad?
It's HARD to see in there.

If the seat IS bad, what can you do to remedy that???
The seat isn't replaceable, right?

Thanks for your time, folks.

MO350X
11-26-2004, 10:31 PM
I tore the carb. apart again today and checked the needle's seat.
It LOOKED fine.
I cleaned it as best I could with steel wool thinking there was some stuff in/on the seat.
STILL fuel everywhere. :(

Is there a better way to dress up the seat in the carb. housing?
A reamer of some sort?

Thanks for any input.

VABCH350X
11-27-2004, 12:37 AM
Unfortunately, I can't ofer an expert opinion on the 84 ATC125M, but usually when I encounter the problem you are describing, I replace the needle and seat as a unit. Generally, any imperfections in the needle or seat will permit fuel leakage. Even cleaning with steel wool as you described can create these imperfections. Again, I am not positive about the 125M, but most needle seats I have encountered have been retained by a small, forked bracket and screw.
You might also want to make sure your float is set to manufacturer's specs, and the little tabs are not bent down, directing an excess of fuel into the carburetor.
-Paul

MO350X
11-27-2004, 12:43 AM
Unfortunately, I can't ofer an expert opinion on the 84 ATC125M, but usually when I encounter the problem you are describing, I replace the needle and seat as a unit. Generally, any imperfections in the needle or seat will permit fuel leakage. Even cleaning with steel wool as you described can create these imperfections. Again, I am not positive about the 125M, but most needle seats I have encountered have been retained by a small, forked bracket and screw.
You might also want to make sure your float is set to manufacturer's specs, and the little tabs are not bent down, directing an excess of fuel into the carburetor.
-Paul

Problem with this little carburetor is that the needle's seat is merely a machined whole and taper in the carb. casting. It's non-replaceable.

The float is plastic as are it's pivot and needle mounts.
Thus nothing is bendable/adjustable.

Right now, I'm toying with the idea of finding another functional carb. and rebuilding IT, rather than throwing any more time/money at my present carb..

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

MTS
11-27-2004, 01:24 AM
Problem with this little carburetor is that the needle's seat is merely a machined whole and taper in the carb. casting. It's non-replaceable.

The float is plastic as are it's pivot and needle mounts.
Thus nothing is bendable/adjustable.

Right now, I'm toying with the idea of finding another functional carb. and rebuilding IT, rather than throwing any more time/money at my present carb..

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
actually you are missing your seat by the sounds of it, it should be a little brass one im almost 100% positive there is suposed to be one, you have to order them sepratly from honda,they dont come in carb kits. they just press into the little cast bored part you are talkin about :D

MO350X
11-27-2004, 08:25 AM
I seemed odd for it to use the carb. casting as the seat but you just never know....
Every other carb. I've ever dealt with (automotive) has always had a brass seat.
What's odd is that I have a spare parts carb. and it's missing it's seat as well.

I'll look into that today.
That would certainly explain the problem.

Thanks a bunch folks.

VABCH350X
11-27-2004, 10:55 AM
Here's the illustrated parts breakdown for the 84 125M. Looks about the same as the carburetor on my 110. Problem is...I don't see a seat for the needle valve either.

Have you tried taking the bowl off, and moving the float up and down slowly by hand to see that it stops the fuel entirely? I also recall there being a small wire clip that held the needle valve to the float, if that is missing or bent it might cause problems as well. Good luck,
-Paul

MO350X
11-27-2004, 06:35 PM
I spoke with the bike shop across the street and he said they never had one.
It uses the carb. housing as the seat.
Not good...especially with age, corrosion, fuel contamination, etc..

He gave me a little rifle brush and a reamer to try and dress the seat.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the replies!

Bill X_R
11-27-2004, 09:07 PM
Double check the float setting. I'd bet that is you problem.

TimSr
11-27-2004, 11:17 PM
I agree with Bill. If the needle and seat are bad, they still greatly reduce flow, and gas usually wont pour out, but it will drip. Something is keeping the floats from moving up and closing the needle. Put the floats in a little cup of gas and make sure they actually float. They can leak, fill with gas, and sink. You can also hook the carb with the bowl off, to the gas line, turn it on, and lift the floats manually, and see if they cut off gas flow. Also, are you sure its the bowl oveflow tube that the gas is coming out of? Most carbs have a screw near the bottom you loosen for draining the float bowl out a tube off the bottom of the carb. Make sure its screwed all the way in!

MO350X
11-28-2004, 12:40 AM
The float is all one-piece and plastic, including it's pivot and the point where the float attaches, thus the tang cannot be bent for adjustment.
The float and the needle are very smooth in operation.
When I loosen that screw at the bottom of the bowl, fuel comes out.
BUT....when I tighten that screw up, the fuel overcomes the bowl and comes out the venturi.
What a confusing mess.

I'm going to do the reamer/cleaner to the needle's seat tomorrow afternoon.
Then we'll see what happens.

Thanks for all the input, it's GREATLY appreciated.