PDA

View Full Version : Will It RUN??

Tweeked
01-10-2003, 11:04 PM
Hey guys,
Tommorrow I am going with my dad to look at and possibly buy my dads friend's 84'200ES. He's not sure if it will run because it hasn't been riden in about 2 yrs. What are the main things that might cause it to not run...Bad gas? Old oil? And should we try running it, or leave it alone, drain all the fluids then fill her up and then try starting her? Any help or info would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks guys, See ya.

-Mike

ATCRYDER
01-10-2003, 11:47 PM
-trying- to run it wont hurt it no matter what anyone tells. you.

Reasons for not starting after sitting: Old Gas (about 8 or more months old is never great), Battery (Although Pull starts always an option!), and carb needing a rebuild.

Rob

Tweeked
01-10-2003, 11:54 PM
Oh ok,
thanks I'll keep that in mind.
Well if it still has gas in it should I replace it asap? Instead of riding it until the old gas it out.

Thanks again, see ya.

-Mike

jeswinehart
01-11-2003, 12:02 AM
yeah mike, dump the old fuel. (when it's yours + change that oil asap too)
rob on his above post said it well

carb troubles will be first to appear + the oil change won't help starting it, just make sure it do have oil in it,,,

john

84250r
01-11-2003, 12:40 AM
Fresh oil is a must! But dont over fill it with oil ;)

200xer
01-11-2003, 12:52 AM
I'd pull it over to see if it has compression and bring an extra spark plug to see if it has spark. But don't try to start it.

freaksfix
01-11-2003, 01:29 AM
Isent this the one thats in really nice shape for like $200, if it is you aint gonna go wrong for 200 running or not........Being only 2 years I bet you shoot some gas in the motor she'll fire right up.....good luck

Tweeked
01-11-2003, 11:16 AM
Hey thanks guys,
I'll do what u all said. Yes its the nice yet cheap one for about 200.
We have a shop nearby that works on mowers, Karts, 3 Wheelers, ATVs, Etc. So if I have any carb problems I'll just drop her off there. Well todays the day, I hope everything works out.

Thanks again guys, See ya.

-Mike

BigRedster
01-11-2003, 11:35 PM
Now that you have it, how is it? I have a bike just like it, if you have any questions.

84250r
01-12-2003, 12:25 AM
Im interested too, Did you get it? Did it turn over? Lets us know,bud.............. :)

PowerTrike
01-12-2003, 12:50 AM
Yeah you can't go wrong for $200. I have 2 84 big reds. Let us know how it turned out.

Tweeked
01-12-2003, 10:26 AM
Hey guys,
I went yesterday to check it out.
It was in great condtion, I just need to replace the battery, throttle cable (unless I can lube it), Possibly the air filter and fuel line. We might get him to drop it off this afternoon :-D . Then I can clean her, get the parts need, and change the fluids. And she'll be ready to ride! :D

Thanks for all your help guys, its been very helpful.

-Mike

Tweeked
01-12-2003, 07:13 PM
Hey,
Well we just called my dads friend and he is sooo nice. Hes acualy GIVING it to me, I couldn't believe it. Its in great condition and only need a new battery, throttle cable and possibly an airfilter. Hes dropping it off tommorow night and I can't wait. I have a few questions on parts and all.

Throttle Cable: ( http://www.denniskirk.com/powervendor/details/detail.asp?PartNo=C6506R&serverid=OffRoad)

Is this the correct throttle cable for the 200es, And Is is hard installing?

Air filters: ( http://www.denniskirk.com/powervendor/details/detail.asp?PartNo=30312&serverid=OffRoad ), ( http://www.denniskirk.com/powervendor/details/detail.asp?serverid=OffRoad&PartNo=303338 ) Or ( http://www.denniskirk.com/powervendor/details/detail.asp?serverid=OffRoad&PartNo=30709 ) .

Which of these three air filters would be the best as far as power and money wise...Wich is the best bang for the buck...?

Fuel Lines: ( http://www.denniskirk.com/powervendor/details/detail.asp?serverid=OffRoad&PartNo=171136 ), ( http://www.denniskirk.com/powervendor/details/detail.asp?serverid=OffRoad&PartNo=180600 ) Or ( http://www.denniskirk.com/powervendor/details/detail.asp?serverid=OffRoad&PartNo=180602 ).

Which size of the above three fuel lines fits the carb and tank of a 84' 200ES?

I appriciate all of your help guys.

Thanks, See ya.

-Mike

ATCRYDER
01-12-2003, 07:18 PM
What a nice guy, Tweeked. Id do soemthin special for that fella.

Yep that throttle cable will fit. Its simple, a child could install it. Ever installed a cable on your bicycle? Its about the same effort.

Fuel Lines are all the same, You jsut need one that will be smug and secure from the petcock to the carb.

Far as air filters. K&N are the best filters in every application, from trikes to quads to cars, theyre the best. UNI is a close second. So either of them will be a good chocie vs. the stock foam air filter that will fall into pieces within about 5-6 years (so that happened to the 200ES ya got in about 1989 eh? heh).

Rob

Tweeked
01-12-2003, 07:31 PM
Hey,
Thanks for the reply. Acualy I am taking the 200 I would have spent on the trike and i'm donating it to this program his church is doing.

I didn't think it would that hard replacing the throttle cable. I've done that on bikes and my old go-kart before ( ha, the gokart cable wasn't very simple though, went through many crashes because the cable got stuck several times, HEHE).

So your saying it doesn't matter what DiA. fuel line I order, either lines will fit the percock and carb? Thats nice to know.

I'll go ahead and order the K&N filter kit along with the throttle cable and Fuel line so I won't have to wait long before I get her running.

Thanks again for the help, See ya.

-Mike

ATCRYDER
01-12-2003, 07:44 PM
Fuel Lines are all the same, You jsut need one that will be smug and secure from the petcock to the carb.

no! no! no! I said you need one thats smug! Not everyone of those will fit!!!

Tweeked
01-12-2003, 07:49 PM
I'm ordering the 1/4" line, Will this one fit?

Tweeked
01-12-2003, 09:38 PM
Ok, I just orderd the parts:

K&N Filter Kit
Throttle Cable
1/4" Fuel Line

If the fuel line isn't the right size I'll figure out what size I need and order the other, It was only 5 bux.

Anyways I have a question about tire sizes and stuff.

I've concidered adding a pair of ITP Spider Tracs to the rear end and a Kenda Bear Claw to the front of my Big Red. The only problem is the Spider Trac measures 25-13-9 and the Bear Claw is 25-12.5-9. The Spider Tracs are an inch wider than stock tires and the Bear Claws are 1/2 inch wider. Will they fit on stock rims, Or are they to wide?

The other thing is: Is it dificult to removie the wheels from a 200es, Are there any tricks as to how to remove them safely without damaging or striping bolds and hubs?

I appriciate your help guys, Thanks, See ya.

-Mike

Links for the tires:

Spider Trac : http://www.4atvtires.com/atvTires/showProduct.cfm?id=409&cat_id=2
Bear Claw: http://www.4atvtires.com/atvTires/showProduct.cfm?id=281&cat_id=2

ATCRYDER
01-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Width wont matter, especially an inch differance. As logn as they are for 9 inch rims.

TO remove the wheels, simply jack up the machine, and remove 4 bolts off the hub. Then you need to have the tire taken off (breaking the bead). A garage can do it for about $10 if you dont have a braker. Its much more worth it than the backyard mechanic methods...running over with a truck and what not. :D

Tweeked
01-13-2003, 10:41 AM
Hey,
Thanks for the help. I'll go and get those tires sometime this week hopefully. I'll get a garage to put them on, the owners really nice and never charges me for that stuff :) .

I have another question...Concerning the battery this time.
The battery on the trike is pretty much dead, although it has enough juice to power the Reverse and Nuetral lights. But not enough for starting or lights. Is it possible if I run or ride it around for a while so the alternator could charge it up enough for the starter and lights to work? And if not, I have a 12 volt trickle charger...Can I charge the battery up on that? Or should I not do any of this and just buy a new battery?

Thanks, I appriciate your help, see ya.

-Mike

Tweeked
01-13-2003, 01:27 PM
Hey,
I remembered I had a used battery in the shed so I went and got it. It was used in my buggy before I got a new one. Its a sealed rechargable battery, I believe is a 12 volt too. Do you think it would work in the trike?

My only concern it the big scratch on the back of it from getting gnawed by a drive shaft. It leaks a tad, close to nothing, just a tiny bit of dried white stuff will occasionally appear. I'll attach a couple pix of the battery so you all can tell me what you think. Thanks

See ya

-Mike

PowerTrike
01-13-2003, 10:50 PM
well... if it fits and its 12v i'd say go for it and yeah try ridin the trike around a bit to try and juice up the battery a lil, works for me. good steal by the way! i wish my dad's friends were that nice :D

KLT Man
01-14-2003, 12:46 AM
If it hasn't been ridden in 2 years, the battery is probably just worth the core charge you will get when you by a new one. Suggestion: BUY A NEW ONE.

According to Dennis Kirk you need a YB14A-A2. This is a YUASA part number and is easily crossed to a battery that is not as expensive. Take a look at the Dennis Kirk website again, or you might find a battery at WAL:-D MART that matches for about half the price of the YUASA.

KLT Man
01-14-2003, 01:01 AM
WOAH. :!: I understand that they are all 12 volt batteries, but there is a reason that they make so many different models. If you use a battery not specifically for your machine then you run the risk of damaging your STATOR (yes, STATOR not starter) and and or Rectifier, then you'll have to dish out more bucks to have it rewound or replaced, or you will damage the battery because the charge rate was incorrect. The number of the battery is the charge rate.

If this bike is in as good a shape as you say, GET A NEW BATTERY, it deserves it. :-D

Just my NICKLE & DIME :bounce

Tweeked
01-14-2003, 11:06 AM
Oh ok,
Thanks so much for keeping me from being a retard ;) .
I'll do what you said and order that battery, or go pick one up at advanced auto parts. And where do I get the acid for the battery, it says "buyer must provide acid" Or something?

Thanks again for your help, See ya.

-Mike

KLT Man
01-14-2003, 10:27 PM
I wasnt calling you a "retard". :-D I am sure that alot of people have put just any battery in their machine, but I am a firm believer in "THE RIGHT PART". Most of the time, the wrong part can damage your right parts.

Personally, I would purchase the battery locally. It will be ready to go or come with everything you need from the place of purchase. It will also help to do it this way if you have to return it for warranty credit.

Tweeked
01-15-2003, 10:32 AM
Ok, I'll take your advice and get her a new battery. I can be that way too...THE RIGHT parts, :D . Thanks for the advice and help your have given me.

See ya,

-Mike