PDA

View Full Version : Big Red resto update

Pistonhead
11-23-2004, 08:17 PM
So I started the teardown of the old 82 the other day. I have the plastics, cargo racks, toolbox, seat, and tank removed. So I have the motor ready to be pulled, all the mounts off etc. and I'm getting ready to pull the motor out. So I take off the left (from behind) rear tire, and remove the chain gaurd. I now have a slight problem, I cant get the chain disconnected from the transmission. I have the chain disconnected from the rear sprocket. Now it seems that the motor and trans are one piece, because I take all the bolts out of the piece over top of the trans (the range switcher) the range thing is black and the block is silver, that piece seems to be over top of the trans drive sprocket (which is on a shaft both ways so the chain can't be disconnected the same way as the rear). Now the chain is the only thing stopping me from getting the motor out and rebuilding it. I'm wondering, how do I get the chain off short of using a hack saw? This is the only thing stopping me from having a mint restored 82 200E. Thanks for the help and wish me luck with the full resto! Thanks, PH. :TrikesOwn

MTS
11-23-2004, 08:22 PM
there should be a master link in the chain some where on the outside of it..(facein you) it has a little clip over a link...it looks diffrent, just look at all the links you will find it, its a little clip, you have to pop it off then there is a plate like a link under it, that comes off and then the whole link from the back side pulls out and the chain comes apart :)

Edit found a pic of it
http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/images/chainlink.jpg
just one more think to add, when you put the chain and the master link back on the closed end of the clip MUST be facing the direction of the chain, like the chain turns to the left, so the closed end of the clip is facein the left :D have fun restorin that thing, lets see some pics too :D :beer :w00t: :naughty:

Pistonhead
11-23-2004, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the help. I will get some pics up soon probably after this weekend.