PDA

View Full Version : 38mm carb swap question

BigGreenMachine
11-23-2004, 10:14 AM
I've got a chance at a 38mm Mikuni TM flat slide carb. Its complete minus the throttle cable. Question is will my stock cable fit onto this carb?

Also will it fit the intake flange on the stock Tecate cylinder? What is the size of the intake on a 38mm carb? (so I can get a K&N) Any suggestions on jetting?

Thanks

tecatecrazy
11-23-2004, 10:46 PM
everything should hook up pretty easily, but the intake boot will take a little coaxing. im pretty sure that the carb intake measures 2 7/16". good luke finding a k&n that will fit in there. you may have to have one made or use an 86/87 intake boot and an angled k&n (this is what I plan on doing if I ever get around to it).

Joe

BigGreenMachine
11-24-2004, 12:47 AM
Tecatecrazy, I thought you had a 38mm TMX with a clamp on K&N on your 85? I was planning on doing the angled clamp-on filter but never thought about the 86/87 boot, is the 86/87 boot angled?

tecatecrazy
11-24-2004, 05:11 PM
im pretty sure that it is angled, but the 86/87 owners can chime in on that.if it is, then the boot plus the angled K&N will kind of zig zag around the rear shock. I tried mounting an angle filter back there but it wouldnt fit...still hit the shock. maybe if you can find a stubby it will work, but I think the shortest filter I could find was 5 inches. I scrapped the idea for now and went with a UNI clamp on with a K&N precharger, and that has worked pretty well and is much cheaper.

Good luck and let me know if you come up with anything

Joe

BigGreenMachine
11-24-2004, 06:17 PM
Cool, what size UNI clamp on did you use?