PDA

View Full Version : 200x Kickstarter ?

atckowalski
11-22-2004, 06:03 PM
Does anyone know if you have to split the cases on a 84 200x to replace the return spring? Is there any way to get the old spring rehooked. I have 4 motors and of course the best one , the one I decided to put in it, does not have the kickstarter return spring that is hooked. The thing is, I can't get anything in there to grab the hook and pull it out. Actually, I am not even sure that it didnt break. It is possible but I think highly unlikely that it did vreak unless it has happened to one of you guys. Any input anyone has would be much appreciated.Thanks. :confused:

short4stuff
11-22-2004, 06:38 PM
I am pretty sure I read that the case had to be split to get to that spring I sure hope mine dont break or un hook... its bad enough that it slips when cold.

ClayW
11-22-2004, 07:00 PM
Dont know on the 200X, but I know that on the 350X and 250ES/SX you dont have to. I did mine on the 350X. After a few days of yelling profanities I talked to John Swinehart, and got it. :w00t:

hotroddal
11-22-2004, 08:54 PM
i did a clutch job on a 200x and all you gata do (if im not mistaken is take the case that is on the kicker side off(mine i tapped it off with a small rubber mallet and you can get to the return spring that way (when i did the clutch job i noticed my kicker spring so im pritty darn sure you just gotta take the kicker side case off and thats were the spring is.

jeswinehart
11-22-2004, 10:58 PM
clymers manual says to break the cases but i think that hotroddal has a point.
although you say you can't get anything in there to grab the end of the spring ,,, i'm figuring you have the side case off and are gonna reconized the innards of my attached scans. if it ain't a broken spring ,,, and everything is lined up inside just right and some real out of the box thinking ,,, i'd say you might be able to snag it with something and get it rehooked. do you see it hooked on inner case ( if you do indeed have the outer case off ) ???
see pic 222 - upper right

john

ClayW
11-23-2004, 12:27 AM
John that looks like the 350X set up also from the back side. I also think that you can get it out some how. Hook it with something. Is that the spring thats broke? Oh yeah, if that spring is broke, the kicker shaft assembly should come out with some manuvering. Mine was broke when I tore it down and the whole nine yds poped loose when I took the cover off.

jeswinehart
11-23-2004, 12:35 AM
yeah,,, if it's a broken spring ,,, he's gonna be going inside the cases for sure.
i don't recall hearing much on broken return springs off hand.
heck,,, maybe just mis-alighned outer gears ,,,

john

clong
11-23-2004, 12:53 PM
When I got my 200X the kick starter was slipping almost every other kick. My problem was not the return spring but the ratchet spring that holds the kicker gears together. I had to (or had my mechanic) split the cases to repiar this. While in there my mechanic said I should replace the return spring cause if it brakes you'll have to split the cases again so I did it. All I'm saying is I remember the return spring being a part of the kick start assembly which you can't get at unless you split the cases. If you split your cases you may as well check and replace (if needed) the kick start gears and the ratchet spring.