PDA

View Full Version : 1982 250r for 400?

Kintore
11-22-2004, 05:05 PM
Well I was looking through my tri-ad today and I found a 1982 air R for 400 can. But...it needs top end rebuild,piston,rings and a rebore. Is that a good deal? and where can I find parts for one if I get it? (what site)

thanks, was looking at a 1985 200x but a 1982 R has more power!
thanks

Wickedfinger
11-22-2004, 05:14 PM
Sounds decent to me - I would try to low ball him though. Make sure the forks are in good shape with no bends - they are getting hard to find now - new ones are $400 each. You will be able to do the top end job for well under $200. You can get a Wiseco piston kit from anybody - DennisKirk would be easiest. I would use Ronnies or PSP for OEM stuff - not a big fan of Service Honda.

Kintore
11-22-2004, 05:20 PM
so where would I get the parts?

and what would you do?
get the air R for around 400 that needs alot or.... get a 1985 200x that and I quote " runs but needs work"

and I all around ride, race my friends and such...

are those prices^ in canadian?

Wickedfinger
11-22-2004, 05:24 PM
Thats up to you - me, I would go with the R, hands down, but I love the early ones. Twice the power, dirt simple to work on - but - the X handles a little better and has more suspension travel in the rear.

Kintore
11-22-2004, 05:29 PM
ok, i might go with the R, you say they have twice the power of a 200X? and would I have to get piston from wiseco? and where would all the other parts be at?

BigGreenMachine
11-22-2004, 05:39 PM
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/mmy.jsp;jsessionid=5DS3KJ2NO14FLLA0WTISM4VMDK0NCIV 0?store=Main&catId=1&make=24&model=1063&year=1982&redirect=true&exec=true&add=true&_requestid=86425

Here are your parts, Denniskirk has all you could want in aftermarket parts.

Wickedfinger
11-22-2004, 06:09 PM
would I have to get piston from wiseco?
No - thats just my recomendation. You can go OEM if you want - its just the Wiseco will give you a little more power, is lighter and is stronger than OEM. If you want to see better performance out of a Wiseco, you need to have your port "timing" revised to match up better with the Wisecos more aggressive piston ports. Also, anytime you bore out a stock cylinder, you effect the port timing - boring away the sleeve by default lowers (or raises)the faces of the ports. Thats why myself and alot of the oldtimers/wrenchers here utter out a silent laugh everytime we see someone say "My '85 250R is bored .80 over and now its fast as heck.". Unless you have the jug ported to at least "match" up, you actually are loosing power even though you are gaining volume. *NOTE - this ONLY applies to 2-strokes.

Blown 331
11-22-2004, 06:26 PM
No - thats just my recomendation. You can go OEM if you want - its just the Wiseco will give you a little more power, is lighter and is stronger than OEM. If you want to see better performance out of a Wiseco, you need to have your port "timing" revised to match up better with the Wisecos piston ports. Also, anytime you bore out a stock cylinder, you effect the port timing - boring away the sleeve by default lowers the faces of the ports. Thats why myself and alot of the oldtimers/wrenchers here utter out a silent laugh everytime we see someone say "My '85 250R is bored .80 over and now its fast as heck.". Unless you have the jug ported to at least "match" up, you actually are loosing power even though you are gaining volume. *NOTE - this ONLY applies to 2-strokes.

I've never heard of the port timing thing, where would you have that done? I had my old 85 R bored .060 and didn't do anything with the port, I've never heard of it. The 85 R I have now still has a standard piston but I'm guess it could use a bore.

Wickedfinger
11-22-2004, 06:38 PM
"Port Timing" is just another way of describing the intake (and exhaust) ports size, shape and position (height) in the jug in relation to how well they "work" in any given application. This timing part has to do with how and when they work with the piston during its stroke. I like to avoid the rather generic term of "ported or porting" because it can mean too many things.

Kintore
11-22-2004, 07:40 PM
Called about the 1982 250r and no body was home :( wants 400$
And then I also called about the 1985 200x running but needs work machine and the guy had just left, calling back at 9 30 he wants 550 for his but i bet I could get it for 500 or less.

im still not sure, i do ride cross country though(and trails and everything i guess), like from farm to farm and im not sure a 2 banger is what I want, a X like someone already said turns a little better. But the 250r could smoke all my friends machines so easy, but maybe the X could too.
2 have 350 honda foremans(one 2x4, other 4x4)
1 Artic cat 250
1 Polaris,(dont know cc's)
and maybe another 2x4 foreman

but no matter what :TrikesOwn

BigGreenMachine
11-22-2004, 08:23 PM
Those Utility quads may be faster than the X, not sure. The only disadvantage I see in buying the 250 R vs. the X would be the rear suspension travel but from my view its not that big of a difference. Everyone that owns an old aircooled R say it is by far the best twostroke trail machine because of the bottom end power, nice suspension, and fat tires. Also with some wheel spacers and better rear tires the R would be a better slider than the X.

The X is a nice bike but all those moving parts in the topend VS the very Very VERY small number in the R's topend make working and rebuilds on the R less expensive. I know the R would suit your type of riding just great and probably the X would too but the R is faster, easier to work on and will cost you less money due to maintanence in the long run.

Kintore
11-23-2004, 04:14 PM
thanks, father called today about the 250, he come home in a few hours. I cant wait to hear what he says!

thanks for the help, ill tell you what im getting and when, and if I do get it ill get pics.

Kintore
11-24-2004, 12:07 AM
Bought the 1982 250r!.... lol I cant wait, bought it for $350 Canadian
needs-
new piston,rings and rebore
but the worst thing I have ever seen, looked like someone hurled/choked/died on the colour, it is a lime/barf/sick/gross/nasty green which is peeling everywhere, i mean its everywhere, frame and fenders lol
then the front tire is real small, and I dont like the stock handlebars that come with it so I am replacing them too.
The back tires are so sweet, clutch is good,shocks are good, and I forgot to tell you,
the sickness fenders some newbie put bloddy wood screws and any other type of screw you can think of through the fenders lol, then painted over them.

will get pics of the sick fenders, and the exhaust is mint too not a bad deal for $350 Canadian, get pics on sunday or next tuesday, going to pick it up this sat.

want to get for it-
piston,rings, overbore
new handlebars(hate em)
new light(old one is shot)
new front tire(very small and wierd)
New fenders for sure(old are just plain nasty, ill get pics so you can gag too lol)
and thats it....... for now lol

BigGreenMachine
11-24-2004, 12:11 AM
awsome to hear man, not too bad of a deal for 350 canadian bucks.

Kintore
11-24-2004, 12:14 AM
Yah I love it, but ill show you pics soon, then you will see these horriffic things lol

yah its pretty nice

MTS
11-24-2004, 12:18 AM
cool sounds like you did pretty good :) you will have lots of fun on it :P