PDA

View Full Version : Testing a starter motor

Yamahauler
11-20-2004, 02:36 AM
How do you test the starter motor on a trike. I am sure i'll need a new battery but before i get that, i want to make sure it will make the starter motor work.

thank you

Quickonstep
11-20-2004, 02:54 AM
1. hook a good battery up and give it a whirl
2. hook a battery charger up to the starter.. black side to ground, redside to the post.. or to the battery cables..
3. if you have a starter button, clamp that onto the starter, hot, switch, ground, and hook a battery charger up to the battery cables..

Hope this helps
Jesse

Howdy
11-20-2004, 09:30 AM
'Take a set of jumper cables hook them to a car / truck. Then hook the negative to the frame of the trike. Take the Pos ( + ) cable and touch the terminal on the starter.

Howdy

Lawsuit
11-20-2004, 10:43 AM
I dont know if trikes have an amplifier going to the starter but.. the switch is very small, although I dont know how much amps are necessary to the starter, if there is an amplifier of current you would be likely to crash it. Personally I would disconnect the starter before test it.

Howdy
11-20-2004, 01:27 PM
I dont know if trikes have an amplifier going to the starter but.. the switch is very small, although I dont know how much amps are necessary to the starter, if there is an amplifier of current you would be likely to crash it. Personally I would disconnect the starter before test it.

Obivously you don't know much about these machines. They don't have amplifiers at all. They have solenoids ( sp? ).
Testing a starter as I have stated above will not hurt anything.
Howdy

Quickonstep
11-20-2004, 02:00 PM
just for sh**s and giggles, they dont have solenoids eaither.. they have relays.... at least my yamaha 225dr does...

Jesse

Lawsuit
11-20-2004, 06:56 PM
yeah, I dont know a lot of thinks about trikes, explanation of the relay is ok for me, but I dont see how an amorce in a solenoid can order a higher current.
Anyway, thanks for the info.

Howdy
11-20-2004, 07:07 PM
yeah, I dont know a lot of thinks about trikes, explanation of the relay is ok for me, but I dont see how an amorce in a solenoid can order a higher current.
Anyway, thanks for the info.

The solenoid ( or relay as Yamaha calls it ) has a set of contactors in it that when activated sends FULL battery power to the starter. It is the same basic set up as cars, trucks, motorcycles, ect has used for years.
Howdy

Lawsuit
11-20-2004, 08:03 PM
AH! you tell "solenoid" the relay? the word made me think has a system of voltage amplification lol(inutile and complicated), a relay is composed by reels and magnetics switch, I understand it's without danger for the circuits.