PDA

View Full Version : New guy with another Tecate project.

Motoboy
11-19-2004, 10:23 AM
Hey guys, just wanted to say hey and post a picture of a project I'm currently working on.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3733&stc=1

It's a '84 Tecate, I've owned it for about 4 years and I've just started restoring it. When I bought this trike I knew it didn't have any spark, so I'm going to replace the flywheel and stator ASAP.

Everything else seems OK, and I think all the stock parts are there. I even have a couple of extra parts.

The plastic is in terrible shape, its not cracked or broken but it has faded and chalked badly. I'll probably replace the front and back fenders, I think those are still available?

I'll send more updates as I get more completed.

Maine_Triker
11-19-2004, 10:30 AM
Hey welcome to the site and good luck on your Tecate. It looks like your doing a pretty good job on it right now.

BigGreenMachine
11-19-2004, 11:57 AM
wow, very impressive job. There are quite a few Tecate's on this board and if you ever need help with anything then feel free to ask. Man I need to get a pic of mine up soon. Have you got any modifications done to it, from what I can see it all looks stock.

thefox
11-19-2004, 12:29 PM
It's looking good motoboy. If your plastic is just faded then you might want to consider wet sanding it, it is a lot of work but cheap and can make it look new. Here is a link to a thread on how to do it. http://3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=24247

Motoboy
11-19-2004, 01:31 PM
Have you got any modifications done to it, from what I can see it all looks stock.

Thanks, I'm really taking my time on it ....and yep, its 100% stock, I think it even has the original tires!

Hey Fox, thanks for the link...I think I'm saving that part for last (If I don't replace the fenders).

Motoboy
12-07-2004, 03:28 PM
I've got a couple of quick questions.....

I saw in another post that someone mentioned using a KX500 gas tank on a Tecate.
Does anyone have any photos or more info for this mod?

The other question is what options is there for the radiator cover on a '85 Tecate, I have the stock one but I'm looking for something a little different. Any ideas?

Billy Golightly
12-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Very nice and clean restoration you've got started. Should be awesome when your done.

Kintore
12-07-2004, 05:32 PM
awesome project, work on her all the time till shes done then pics!

twgranger
12-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Is that paint or powder on the frame?

cliff2302
12-07-2004, 09:08 PM
There is a set of front and rear fenders on ebay buy it now for $200. go to ebay motors and type in tecate, it will be on the first page. kinda expensive though

Motoboy
12-09-2004, 05:04 PM
That frame is painted, wanted powder.... but could only afford paint.

Tri-ZNate
12-09-2004, 11:23 PM
I'm not really a fan of Kawasakis but that is one nice trike you have there. Keep up the good work and you'll end up with a show trike.

RacerRichie
12-10-2004, 07:59 AM
The other question is what options is there for the radiator cover on a '85 Tecate, I have the stock one but I'm looking for something a little different. Any ideas?

Yup ....a green vented number plate with a black background.
and a number 31 :beer

Tecate250
12-10-2004, 11:21 PM
Who made the green vented number plates? And where can a guy get one?

Motoboy
10-26-2005, 10:38 AM
Man....where has the time gone....this thread is so old (its been almost a year).

Well, I did make some progress but it still isn't finished ( I told you I was taking my time):lol: .

I've posted these pictures elsewhere on the site but forgot to update this thread.

I still have a few things to do....did my list get longer :wondering ?

1. Purchase a new stator and flywheel
2. Finish re-assembly
3. Clean / inspect / reinstall carb
4. Replace or re-do plastics, I was thinking of using '86 plastic.
5. Finish cleaning up the forks / shock (I stripped the gold paint off the forks)
6. New tires

But, I would sell it as is for the right price, but I just started talking to another 3WW member about trading this trike off to a......:eek: FOURWHEELER :eek: .
My wife has been wanting a fourwheeler for a while (we've been looking at Honda Recons)
I could just finish this trike for her, but its way to much for her to handle. And we kinda need something to use at the races as a pit vehicle and around the house for fun.

I could just keep it and finish it, I know it would be a blast to ride.
I haven't found the time to do it....to many things going on right now.

It really does suck to think that I might never finish it but.......its just collecting dust right now.

I'll take somemore photos, and I'll probably drag it out tonight and tinker some more......

bigredhead
10-26-2005, 11:09 AM
Don't sell it.. for god sakes man..

For the money you will get for it.. it's better to either keep ticking at away at it.. or put it away for when you have more time on your hands.

Selling it in this shape would be a loss of money. and a broken dream.

Don't give up.

Meat-BoX
10-26-2005, 12:08 PM
When my Tecate was looking like that I thought about selling it. I would never get the money I invested in it. Now that shes done People get off their rides when I come down the Trail and Bow down and praise the 3 wheeler gods. Allso lucky for me my Tecate is soooo fast that the Girls that keep chasing me cant catch me, unless I see a pretty one then I slow down:w00t:

To own a mint 20 year old trike is special, and the ATV xrowd really appreciates it when they see it.:beer

Motoboy
10-26-2005, 07:18 PM
Here's some more (old) pics....

cragster
10-26-2005, 07:27 PM
MOTOBOY i really like your tecate. I WISH I HAD IT!
I guess its not bad to have 2 projects now is it????

Motoboy
10-26-2005, 08:07 PM
MOTOBOY i really like your tecate. I WISH I HAD IT!
I guess its not bad to have 2 projects now is it????

Thanks bigredhead, Meat-BoX, and cragster......2 projects isn't bad.
Work on one a while, get frustrated/bored and switch to the other.

Thats what I do.....since I started on this Tecate (75% complete) I've...

1. rebuilt/converted a '84 Z50 into a 2003 XR50 for my daughter
(100% completed)

2. started building a XR/CR conversion (XR75 engine in a CR80 chassis)
(50% completed)

That doesn't even include all the projects around the house.....

Heres a couple of pics of the 50, I don't have any of the conversion yet.....
Blue = how it started
Pink/Purple = almost done...and started over, not happy with how it was going.
Red = completed

cragster
10-26-2005, 08:09 PM
yeah so youv got projects too! I dont feel alone.
Were stator's common bad thing in a tecate i take it?

twgranger
10-26-2005, 08:14 PM
That is looking great. I wouldn't sell it.

Darius1502
10-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Take some air out of those tires....they are low profile.

You have too much air in them. The project looks awesome!!!

Motoboy
10-26-2005, 08:25 PM
Take some air out of those tires....they are low profile.

You have too much air in them. The project looks awesome!!!

Thanks Darius,

Yeah I pumped the heck out of them.....wanted to make sure they would hold air.
The tires on there are dry-rotted pretty bad.

But they held.....guess I should have aired them down before snapping pics.

BigAir660R
10-26-2005, 08:31 PM
Were stator's common bad thing in a tecate i take it?

i belive so thats why everyone get the ricky stator kit for them.

BigAir660R
10-26-2005, 08:32 PM
by the way thats the same color i painted my frame on my 85 tecate.

Motoboy
10-26-2005, 08:39 PM
by the way thats the same color i painted my frame on my 85 tecate.

And I thought I was being different...got any pics?

thefox
10-26-2005, 08:44 PM
1. rebuilt/converted a '84 Z50 into a 2003 XR50 for my daughter
(100% completed)

Heres a couple of pics of the 50, I don't have any of the conversion yet.....
Blue = how it started
Pink/Purple = almost done...and started over, not happy with how it was going.
Red = completed

I bet that wasn't too hard:D . It would have been even easier if you just skiped the second step though.

Motoboy
10-27-2005, 02:49 AM
I bet that wasn't too hard:D . It would have been even easier if you just skiped the second step though.

Yeah your right, at first I wanted to make it all pink and girly for her...then this went wrong and that went wrong so then I asked her "How would you like for your motorcycle to look like Daddy's?" and she went for it.

Motoboy
10-14-2006, 10:02 AM
Guys,

I haven't touched this trike in almost a year....between family, work, day to day this and that and not to mention too many other projects I just don't have time to work on it.

The thing that has really stopped me is it needs a stator/flywheel and I just can't bring myself to spend $250 on it. I have a couple of other bikes that seem to take the majority of the "motorcycle fund" (and a bit more sometimes).

This trike is very, very close to being completly restored, it does need a couple of things (obviously).....
1. Stator and flywheel
2. Rear shock needs rebuilt (i think)
3. Air filter, chain

(below is optional but would make it complete)
1. New plastic
2. Tires (the ones on there hold air but are dry-rotted bad)

And I haven't even touched the carb, but it probably only needs a good cleaning.
One more thing, it is assembled but its only "hand tight" every bolt/nut on this thing needs tightened and or torqued.

So I'll get to my point........it's for sale, I need the garage space, and I don't have the motivation to finish it.
If anybody is interested you can PM me here or email me at mleget3@cs.com.

I don't feel I'm asking too much for it, I think it's a fair price......by the way I'm asking $500.00 the way it sits. If nobody from here contacts me I'll probably put it on eBay soon.

Thanks guys,
Michael

Motoboy
10-14-2006, 10:03 AM
I'll post new photos ASAP..........

ATC-Eric
10-14-2006, 01:54 PM
Sad to see it go. You should throw this in the classifieds, somebody will take it for $500.

Good luck.

SYKO
10-14-2006, 02:16 PM
man i so want that, I just cant swing the extra coin right now:cry:

84honda200s
10-14-2006, 03:26 PM
But, I would sell it as is for the right price, but I just started talking to another 3WW member about trading this trike off to a...... FOURWHEELER .
My wife has been wanting a fourwheeler for a while (we've been looking at Honda Recons)
I could just finish this trike for her, but its way to much for her to handle. And we kinda need something to use at the races as a pit vehicle and around the house for fun.

you cant trade it for fourwheeler. you cant its not an optioption. its not rite. its a trike. trikes sould be kept and loved by their owners. not traded for a wreched four wheeler. lol im juss playing with ya. but if you are going to trade it make sure its for a honda fourwheeler. but personaly if i put all that work and money into it i would keep it.

Motoboy
10-14-2006, 09:06 PM
you cant trade it for fourwheeler. you cant its not an optioption. its not rite. its a trike. trikes sould be kept and loved by their owners. not traded for a wreched four wheeler. lol im juss playing with ya. but if you are going to trade it make sure its for a honda fourwheeler. but personaly if i put all that work and money into it i would keep it.

I ended up buying a Honda Recon for my wife last April, she loves it.

Allot of people have said I should keep it, and I probably should. But it's just sitting in the garage, I just can't get myself to spend the money on getting it to run. And I know someone out there would love to have a "project bike" to work on.

I recently got a good deal on an XR600 that I'm currently rebuilding and I plan to use some of the money from the Tecate to finish that bike and at the same time I feel like I'm giving someone a good deal on this Tecate, (trying to "pay it forward").

I'm married and have two drunken-midgets so I try not to spend my entire paycheck on motorcycles....even though I could + more.

84honda200s
10-14-2006, 09:11 PM
awww man well at least u got a honda.

Motoboy
10-17-2006, 09:40 AM
Heres some photos I took the other day.....I'll try to get her in the classifieds this afternoon.

She needs a good home guys, she needs someone to take good care of her.
A little TLC is all she needs....oh yeah, and a new stator.... n'stuff.

scooterroo
10-17-2006, 03:38 PM
what r you going to be asking for it motoboy?

Motoboy
10-17-2006, 10:30 PM
what r you going to be asking for it motoboy?

$500.00 (to 3wheelerworld members only). :beer

I feel like thats a bargain, I bet I have over $500 dollars worth of labor in that trike.

Like I said in previous posts, It does need a couple of things, stator and flywheel would be the first thing, then odds and ends like chain, air filter, missing bolts here and there.....it is after all an unfinished project.
As it sits now, everything is "handtight" the new owner will need to go through and tighten and torque everything.

If you have any questions or need better pics, let me know.