PDA

View Full Version : axel removal questions AGAIN...but different

jmsmilin
11-16-2004, 07:30 PM
I read thru other posts, heres where Im at, everything is apart minus the sprocket stuff on a 185. THe axel nuts and everything, so it should now just bang off out the "driver" side correct?

hotroddal
11-16-2004, 08:21 PM
actually it should not bang out(unless it is rusty of corse) it should come out by pulling with your hands on the axlethrought the drivers side. u do not need to take the sprocket off all younedd to take off is the big nuts and the brake assembly and the chain

jmsmilin
11-17-2004, 08:04 PM
here are pics, it wont come off what am I doing wrong?

hotroddal
11-17-2004, 09:10 PM
jm- you have to take the brake cover off (10mm wrench ther should be 8 bolts holding the cover on if i remember correctly) then remove the brake shoes then it should just pull out throught the drivers side.

jmsmilin
11-17-2004, 10:55 PM
OK done, but now HOW DO I GET THE DAMN BRAKE DRUM OFF that thing is on there, I guess its eld by the splines? Man it does not want to move at all!

hotroddal
11-17-2004, 11:15 PM
well to get the brake drum off you should be able to just wedge a flat head screwdriver in behind it and pry it all around from all directions and it should start to move off the splines-use "pb buster" or wd-40 to help

jmsmilin
11-17-2004, 11:29 PM
well im off to sleep thanks for the help thus far, that thing is on there man

Lots_Of_Nothing
11-18-2004, 12:20 AM
It's much easier to take the sprocket clip off, slide the sprocket off, and take the axle off the other way.... (see attached picture)

hotroddal
11-18-2004, 09:52 AM
lots of nothin i never thought of that and i have never done it that way but it seems like that could work.

crackshot
11-18-2004, 10:27 AM
I did not know trikes had a "drivers side".

Also, grease the splines on hubs and drum with waterproof grease when reassembling to prevent those parts from rusting together.

Lots_Of_Nothing
11-18-2004, 04:18 PM
lots of nothin i never thought of that and i have never done it that way but it seems like that could work.

It does work, I have done it at least 6 times,, As a matter of fact I did it last week, its ALOT easier. :p

jmsmilin
11-18-2004, 09:47 PM
LOL...thanks for the observation of my descriptions, so what would you call it, everyone else seemed to have understood? If I say right side that all depends on if you looking from the front or back...

THANKS for all the tips. I actually already did have the sprocket out but ran into the "hub" that holds the sprocket on-its held on by splines just as the brake drum is and its hard to remove to, but I will keep you up to date on what happens, I havent messed with it today. I need a hammer that wont mess it up too, like a brass one I guess. My wood blocks keep breaking when I hit them with the hammer as they are between it and the axel.
I did not know trikes had a "drivers side".

Also, grease the splines on hubs and drum with waterproof grease when reassembling to prevent those parts from rusting together.

hondaATCman
11-18-2004, 10:05 PM
Get a piece of brass, hold it on the end of the right side of the axle (same side as the brake drum) and get a sledgehammer and pound on the end of the axle. The brake drum will come off much easier and the axle will come out at the same time.

Lots_Of_Nothing
11-18-2004, 11:11 PM
try this way,, on either side of the axle.... (see attached picture)

jmsmilin
11-19-2004, 07:16 PM
haha great pic! Im gonna try it
try this way,, on either side of the axle.... (see attached picture)

Lots_Of_Nothing
11-19-2004, 07:21 PM
Heh,, yeah,, my pictures are quick drawings and meager,, but, you get the idea.

The way I showed you has worked for me plenty of times,, just make sure the pipe fits kind of tight, and it covers the end of the axle by a couple inches so your hitting the pipe and not the axle..