PDA

View Full Version : 1985 350x

hotroddal
11-16-2004, 07:18 PM
I have a 1985 350x and i bought new rear axle bearings and was wondering :when i whent to loosen the big nuts on the right side of the rear axle they did not move when i would try to lossen them they would move barrely i was wondering are those nuts reverse threads or something like that???

kilabeez0
11-16-2004, 10:42 PM
nope, u need a bigger wrench.

NOS_350X
11-16-2004, 10:44 PM
I have a 1985 350x and i bought new rear axle bearings and was wondering :when i whent to loosen the big nuts on the right side of the rear axle they did not move when i would try to lossen them they would move barrely i was wondering are those nuts reverse threads or something like that???

Yes, this is complicated tho. the set nut you screw in (twards the center) the screw in the next one (twards the center) until you get to a lockring. take off the lockring, and screw the 2 nuts off. now you have to get the sproket hub off, and thats going to probably be a pain in the _ _ _. Use the weight of the swingarm and drop it on a block of wood, that way you dont mess up the threads on the end. ill go out and take some pics now to describe.

ClayW
11-16-2004, 11:10 PM
Those big nuts on the axle (right rear sitting on bike ) are lefthanded threads. I just changed the rear bearings in mine last month. I had to use a HUGE cresent wrench to get them off.

NOS_350X
11-16-2004, 11:15 PM
Here we go, screw #'s 1 and 2 left until you see #3. Take # 3 off, then screw off #'s 1&2. Then you have to get the sproket hub off. And they arent reverse threaded.

ClayW
11-16-2004, 11:21 PM
My bad. For some reason I was thinking that they were lefthanded. I guess I was confused on part of it. Instead of the nuts threading outward, they are threaded inward ( normal ) but strange when looking at it because you would think that its tightening it. Know what I mean

hotroddal
11-17-2004, 09:50 AM
thanks everyone now i can change my bearings