PDA

View Full Version : I'm putting a new timing (cam) chain on my 185s. Anything special I need to know?

StangLX302
11-15-2004, 11:36 AM
I've never had an ATV engine apart, but I've worked on car engines a million times. I have the repair manual and I have read it. I was just wondering if there was anything maybe the book left out or if there were any special tools I have to go buy. I have a roll box full of tools, but mostly automotive related stuff.

I bought the chain itself, the chain guides/tensioners and a complete gasket kit. Will I need anything else as far as parts go? The engine ran great and didn't smoke one bit so I don't need to completely rebuild it. One day just out of no where, the timing chain snapped.

Any tips or tricks you could post would be greatlly appreaciated.

Matt

StangLX302
11-28-2004, 09:08 PM
Well, thanks everyone for the help and ALL of the responses. :rolleyes:

Anyways, The book was full of it when they said you had to remove the engine and head to do the job. I did it in just two hours with the engine in the frame and I didn't remove the head. It runs perfect now.

EE324
12-05-2004, 06:43 PM
I have a 85 ytm225DX. I had the cylinder off and did not see what position the piston was when I removed it. Where should the piston be when the timing gear is top dead center? I thought it should be in it's uppermost position, but it's not even trying to fire.

3 weelin geezer
12-05-2004, 08:55 PM
I felt like a one legged man in an ***(<--donkey) kicking contest when I tried that. I finally took it out of the frame, stood back and said to myself (Hey! I'm old. I can talk to myself if I want to. ) That sure looked like more work than it really was.

Did you look into the plug hole? Maybe you can see where the valves are when it comes up on the compression stroke. I learned it wont do a damn thing if the valves are open when it comes to tdc. I have a 185s so I don't know exactly if you can see your valves but I would say its the timing.

83185s
12-06-2004, 10:11 PM
turn around trailprotrailpro pulser unit..if not that then u could have any number of probs..stator, coil, cdi, wiring harness..anything