PDA

View Full Version : Building a "HOT" 350x.

HRC1
11-12-2004, 01:50 PM
I've started a new project. I'm building/restoring a 85 350x ,mainly for the dunes. I bought a whold spare bike to keep my 86 as mint as i can, so i'm gonna beat on this one. I'm Going new piston, higher comp. prob 10.5, and a cam. I wanna stay away from big bore as i have some technical reasons why there not good. I want imput from anyone with a stroker crank, higher comp, OR diff cams. Of you have a cam, what one are u using? what carb?, and exhaust? i have a buntch of parts and i'm not scared to spend the money. so gimme some imput. Thanks guys!

BIGCRIP28
11-12-2004, 02:54 PM
Get the 12:1 wiseco, get the hottest web cam, the titanium valve spring kit, shorten the valve guides, put a hiflow filter, modify your airbox for better flow, re jet the carb, a new exhaust(don't know which one, i am still trying to decide on one for mine).
I know you said you dont want a big bore, but if I was doing it I would get the Powroll 430cc kit with the 6mm stroker crank with the 13:1 piston. It comes with pretty much everything you need, except for new or hardfaced rockers. It is pretty high though ($1540). If that is only for parts you will spend at least $2000 because machine shop work aint cheap. But you arent scared to spend the money.
It would be crazy with that kit!!!!!!!!

Blown 331
11-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Why don't you want to get a big bore kit?

BIGCRIP28
11-12-2004, 03:02 PM
maybe he doesnt want it because of comprimised longevity

bigredhead
11-12-2004, 03:03 PM
"HOT" i thought this was going to be a stolen trike thread.. LOL..

If it's never been bored before.. i'd go for one size up..

HRC1
11-13-2004, 05:41 AM
the reason i don't want a big bore is over the last few weeks i have learned several valuble reasons why it isn't a good idea from a friend of mine who has been building atv and dirtbike motors his whole life professionally. I don't want to get into the specifics, but go to trx450r.org if you want to know more. Basically a few simple ones are lack of meat left in the cylinder for a re-bore, and cooling. Not that a biger bore cools worse than a high comp, standard bore, but there are some longevity issues and lack of parts for this bike issues. I don't want something so finicky it never runs right, or breaks all the time, and i don't expect to whip drag quads, i just want some more go, and a little more fun. I'm thinkin not a ton of comp, for cooling and race gas reasons,prob 11.1 max. air cooled motors don't respond well to super high comp, because of their inability to bleed off the heat like a water pumper. Plus too big a cam and i'm lookin at cam journal, valve train issues. I'm going to talk to my motor guy tomorrow and finalize a plan, i just wanted some good imput from someone who has already modded there 350x and what to look for. but the stroker might still be an option. I'll let u guys know how it runs when i get it done.

trikerider2oo7
11-13-2004, 10:08 AM
web camshaft, supertrapp exhaust, uni air filter, .50 over 10.25:1 comp. wiseco piston, hard faced rockers, racing valve springs, etc.

BIGCRIP28
11-13-2004, 05:38 PM
web camshaft, supertrapp exhaust, uni air filter, .50 over 10.25:1 comp. wiseco piston, hard faced rockers, racing valve springs, etc.

that sounds good to me! :D