PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Suzuki ALT 125D ?

StephenG
11-11-2004, 04:26 PM
Hi,
I'm looking at 1983 Suzuki ALT 125.
I have never seen one around here before.
Are they hard to come by?
The one I’m looking at runs good, but needs a pull start, and the rear fender and seat is cracked up. What would be a fair price in this condition?
Are the Suzuki three-wheelers any good?

Thanks for any help :beer
Stephen G :TrikesOwn

RacerRichie
11-12-2004, 12:16 AM
Well they have no suspension and are kinda rare. If it will be your only trike then I would think twice about it. Not sure about parts for it.
I've seen a few around. I think they may have a reverse gear which is different.....

Tri-ZNate
11-13-2004, 10:16 PM
I didnt even know suzuki made one before my grampie got one. Here is the thing. No suspension. It has reverse but if you are lookin for a good sporttie utility trike get a honda 250sx. Just advice

TimSr
11-14-2004, 02:34 AM
Ive got one, and its in super nice original condition. They areent very common. Ive had no problems finding parts yet, and its a great running trike, but not worth much. I cant get $600 out of mine, so with the defects you describe, I wouldnt pay more than a couple hundred dollars. They are unstable death traps, and they roll and flip easily just like any other 110/125 non suspension models, which makes them a lot more fun for seasoned rider, but a lot more frustrating for beginners.

http://home.neo.rr.com/timtim/alt1251.jpg

RacerRichie
11-14-2004, 08:35 AM
TimSR that thing is MINT. You say $600 now but in a few more years when things become even more rare you may have somthing special from a collectors point of view.
I think they made them for a few years. I've seen an orange one too.
RR

short4stuff
11-14-2004, 10:46 AM
TimSR I like how it says SU-UK on the tank lol ..

its clean though

guidou_l
11-15-2004, 07:25 PM
Mine is a suzuki alt 185 1984 and I think those trikes runs great!!!!

I've had no problem whit mine since I've got it 5 mont ago...

The parts are not hard to find too....

atcmatt
11-16-2004, 02:31 AM
The Suzukis are great trikes. They are so fun with no suspension and are good mudders because they are so light and have reverse. The 185 we have is awesome fun. If its a reasonable price buy it, you wont regret it. I beg to differ with Timsr's opinion on how they are unstable, the 185 we have is pretty sure footed, ,maybe because its a diffrent machine to the 125? Have u had any experience on a 185 Tim? Size, Stance compared to a 125?

Matt

TimSr
11-16-2004, 09:55 AM
TimSR I like how it says SU-UK on the tank lol ..

Id never noticed that before, but now that you've pointed it out...LOL! I left it on because I was hoping to replace it with the OEM originals, but they are no longer available.

ATCMatt, I havent ridden or even seen a 185 model, so I dont much know how they are. In the Honda's when you go to the 185s or 200s there is a world of difference between them and the smaller models, though I would not call their stability great compared to a suspended model. EVERY 110/125 Ive ridden was extremely unstable. They do better with smaller kids than adults because it lowers the center of gravity. I learned to ride a trike on a Yamaha 125 Trimoto which I called "the death trap", and it WAS. Yes I mastered it and loved it, but they are much more difficult to ride. My ALT125 gave me Trimoto flashbacks, and the Honda 110 is no step up either. These narrow, short wheelbased, unsuspended trikes with bouncy tires were what gave trikes their bad reputation and by the time serious design improvements were implemented they were already stuck with that reputation. You can improve their stability by using harder flat profile tires, but if you ride it for any length of time you will probably never be able to father children!
The sad part is that these are often characterized as "beginner trikes" and in my opinion, it would be a lot easier for an adult size beginner to handle a 200X or even one of the racers.