PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter screen on petcock valve?

patblkwell
11-10-2004, 08:29 PM
I took my petcock assembly off my 250es the other day to clean it, and I noticed that there is supposed to be a filter screen that goes around the petcock valve going into the gas tank-according to my shop manual. My petcock doesn't have one....should I get one asap or is this not a big deal? I called the Honda dealer and they want like $36 for one...anyone have an extra they could sell me?? let me know, thanks.

MTS
11-10-2004, 08:40 PM
you can just go to the local bike shop and they have little in-line fuel filters that are like 2$ and they work great...its not real bad if ya dont have one as long as your tank is good and you run pump gas in it...

ClayW
11-10-2004, 08:44 PM
Pat look up in the bottom side of the tank in the hole the petcock goes in. Its prob stuck in there. THey usually dont come out without being destroyed in the process. You should see a plastic ring in there. Thats the screen. If you dont see it there, Get a flash light and shine it in the tank and towards the petcock hole. See if you see it. I bet you money that its there. Stuck. Dont try to take it out. You WILL ruin it if you do. Dont buy one from Honda. Buy one from the guy on Ebay called GH supply. He sells the red maier fenders on ebay under ( honda 250es ). He has New petcocks and the filter for about $20. I got one from him for my old SX. Worked great.

patblkwell
11-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Hey thanks for the advice Clay. You know, I was thinking the same thing that it could be stuck in the opening in the bottom of the tank. I'll have to go check it out. Yeah, I wasn't about to pay $36 to Honda for one...I saw that brand new petcock with one on ebay for $20! I might add an inline fuel filter as well to the fuel line going to the carb. just for more protection. Thanks again

ClayW
11-10-2004, 08:56 PM
Yes!!! definately add a inline filter. You wont regret it. LOL

patblkwell
11-10-2004, 09:10 PM
Yeah I will definitely add one, gonna go to Winner's Cycle tomorrow and get one.

ClayW
11-10-2004, 09:19 PM
Hey, one other question. I KNOW you are a TIGER fan? Right?

ScottZJ
11-10-2004, 09:56 PM
I bought a brand new petcock with filter for 17$ at J&M. They sell just about any ATV stuff, so I would think about doing that. Even if yours is good you can have a spare.