PDA

View Full Version : 350X Speedo's and Tach's

350x'inNY
11-10-2004, 06:33 PM
Hey...

Been in the possession of a couple of 350X Tachometers for a lil bit. As many of you know, the mounting brackets for the 350X Tachometer and the Speedometer are designed to mount on the forks in the same place. I have my speedometer mounted on the "Showgirl" and in the past I've flirted with mounting the Tachometer up too.

I've bought a CB400 Instrument panel and have messed with getting the Speedo and Tach into that (plus it had an ignition key I was going to wire in too) Someone else online also had sent me pictures of prototype custom dash he made for his 350X to mount both the speedo and tach. He said he was going to make me a couple for both my 350X's, but haven't heard from him in months.

So anyhow, I was surfing around killing time and found this awesome site. Great compiling of HONDA brochures. If you have any he's missing; maybe you could send a scan to him. Anyhow, here's the site.

http://www.allterraincycles.ca/85atcfl.html

I was looking through this one, and saw a pic of the speedo and tach mounted together straight from HONDA!! Do any of you know of a special Hondaline mounting kit to mount them both up? If so, any ideas of a part number? Anyone have a HONDAline part number catalog??

I've attached the pics for you all as well. Go support the guys website! It rocks! Plus he links to 3wheelerworld.com!

Bruce

ClayW
11-10-2004, 06:45 PM
Man that is cool. Interesting info. Keep us posted if you find anything out. :beer . Hey, how do you like your old footpegs mounted on my restored X. Just finished it. :D

smokinp
11-10-2004, 06:45 PM
wow!cool site,I would like to get a speedo and tach for my 200x...any ideas?

350x'inNY
11-10-2004, 06:54 PM
Ideas??? Yes.... stalk ebay! However, I've never seen a 200X Tachometer on eBay before. I have only seen a 350X Tachometer 2X's.... I bought one. The other one I bought from a guy on the board who remains banned and nameless.

Last night I tried to buy one of those 200X front fender extensions... a couple of you guys on the board started a bidding war with me! Oh well, I bought one from blazerone22 a couple weeks ago. (Going to put it on my 82R with my new black desert seat)

Same seller had a 86 Hondaline 250R headlight guard in the original packaging. I got outbid by that Jez_n_Faye or whatever so I didn't even try. I see someone else snipped it up to over $75 at the end. Has anyone ever outbid Jez_n_Faye?? He might have some rare parts! hahhaa

You notice the rims on that 200X??? I was told that only the 86 350X had those cast vented hubs. Did the 200X's have them too or was it just a promo bike for pics?

Bruce

jeswinehart
11-10-2004, 07:05 PM
hi bruce.
about a month ago i needed to stop at the honda dealership in elkhart indiana for some stuff and asked about them doing a search for speedos.
they are a old dealer ship with some really great ( older ) counter guys.
they had no problem locating the numbers for the honda speedos and said they would put up on a search for me thru all honda dealer ships and to call them in a week. i done that and the fella i was dealing with said that nothing turned up anywhere. i asked wqhat they sold for if he did locate one and was told 89.95 ( or there-abouts ).
i never did ask about tachs for some reason but know a good dealership can get you the numbers for your mounting bracket and possibly ,,, the bracket its self.

i'm still in consideration for any extras i hope ,,,,

john

350x'inNY
11-10-2004, 10:29 PM
Oh sure... first dibs! The mounting brack was included in the tachometer kit. (Speedometer and the mounting gearbox kit are seperate items) I know the Tachometer, Speedo, Gearbox Kit part numbers and they are all discontinued. I think the Tachometer price at servicehonda showed ~$70-$80 when new. (prior to disc.)

Seems like Airmancam said he had or a buddy had one with the duel mounting bracket, but never posted pics. This brochure on the website was the first time I'd scene evidence that it existed from HONDA. Looks like its on a 350X in that pic too.

Thanks!
Bruce

jeswinehart
11-11-2004, 07:01 AM
i'm not seeing where that's a 1 peice mounting bracket myself
( but then again ,,, i don't see so well at times - lol )

i only seen one 350x in person that had both mounted ( mrATC ) and if i am not mistaken each had their own mounting bracket.

so do you need a mounting bracket for you tach ,,, ?

john

350x'inNY
11-11-2004, 01:10 PM
Let me clarify..... The mounting bracket that comes with the Speedo kit, mounts the speedo on the top right fork. The bracket that comes with the Tachometer's also mounts to the top right fork. The banned and nameless one I bought the tach off from is the same you mentioned. He had taken the stock bracket and bent and twisted it around to work on the Left fork. However, when you do this, it's lower than the speedo. In that pic they are set up 'correctly'. IThe Tach I first bought from the banned and nameless didn't have the bracket with it originally. The one I bought on ebay had the bracket and all the instructions and heven the inventory part codes! Later he found the Tach bracket... he had mistakenly sent it to someone with a speedo. (They are different) So I don't need the 'stock' bracket.... I need one that allows them both to be mounted!

I might have to email that website. The smaller font is hard to read, but says something about a chrono/time piece or something too. I can get 5 function out of the small font. A speedo and tach would only give you 4 (speed, RPM, milage, tripmeter) and only millage, not time.

Oh... here's the pic that guy sent me for his custom dash. This was about 10 months ago. I've contacted him a couple times since and said he's been really busy. Hopefully he finishes tham up and heads up this way soon!

Bruce

trikerider2oo7
11-11-2004, 07:58 PM
that site belongs to erussel http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/member.php?u=2363

smokinp
11-12-2004, 01:17 AM
Bruce,I would like to put a set similar to those(off a motorbike)on my 200x,so the tach runs from the light source to the CDI unit(a guess??)and the speedo goes from a power source to the front tire??(where does it connect tho?)thank you!

jeswinehart
11-12-2004, 07:18 AM
smoknip ,,, you're right on the tach ( at least the 350x use eletrical conection anyways) on the speedo drive unit ,,,, it takes the place of the right side spacer on the front axle. the hub has a little protrussion sticking out that engages the speedo drive unit.

i like banned + nameless ones idea better of re-vamping a speedo mounting bracket to use as a tach mount for the left side. it just looks like a cleaner install to me.
i remember asking bill if those gauges were sealed up very well on his trike and he replyed with a hesitant yeahhhh , why ? so i told him i had just spent 20 minutes droolling all over them - lol .

john

350x'inNY
11-12-2004, 03:39 PM
Actually, he revamped a Tachometer mount. The tach and speedo mounts go on in the same spot but are entirely different. If you put a Tachometer in a Speedo mount, the face is rotated by like 40º.

I like the ones those guy made, cause they give some protection to them if I roll it. Also, I got some paint chips off my speedo from dust, stone chips from the ATV run I did with YZ250#1 (Steve). The guy was going to have them powder coated black and drop the 2 off to me and go riding when he visited his sister.

Bruce

BIGCRIP28
11-12-2004, 04:26 PM
If anyone has or will have the speed or tach or both on the 350X can you tell me the top speed.
What is the RPM when you going about 60 in 6th gear?

jeswinehart
11-12-2004, 07:36 PM
around 70 ,,, maybe a fuzz more. motor had a little more rev to it
( i think ) ,,,, at some where around 55 i can feel the tires " grow ".
at around 60 plus i kinda wonder just what i'm doing.
at some where around the 70 mark i realize i'm on a death ride and anything that could go wrong ,,, just might and my dumb arse is gonna trash my lovely 350x .

as far as what i'm taching ,,,, ain't got a clue since i don't have one yet.

john

GAPILOT
10-07-2011, 08:27 AM
hello..looking for hondaline mount for a tach..anybody got one they are willing to part with??
thanks

Vealmonkey
10-07-2011, 12:06 PM
GAPILOT, Your request should be posted in the classifieds section, not here.

GAPILOT
10-11-2011, 07:00 PM
please delete from this section..reposted in classifieds
GAPILOT