PDA

View Full Version : Got the new Decals in for the 350X Resto

ClayW
11-10-2004, 06:13 PM
Here they are, courtesy of Harlan Lysne. Man he does good work. :beer

350Xccelerator
11-10-2004, 06:36 PM
holy crap that is an awesome 350x, nice work.

ClayW
11-10-2004, 06:42 PM
Yeah all I really have to do is replace the seatcover. But that can wait a little while. :D

350x'inNY
11-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Yes..... I love the footpegs! hahahahaaha

Hey.... Honda still has the blue front fork boots and tank fins if you are interested. I know I stocked up on a couple sets this past year. (However, I refuse to gouge people of ignorance on ebay! hahahaaa)

As far as a seat cover, I'd look to www.hi-flite.com I just got a desert safety seat for my 82R. Awesome material and comes with new seat foam!

Bruce

ClayW
11-10-2004, 07:27 PM
What do the original fork boots go for? $$$. I got those red ones with the forks I bought. They were part of the deal.

clong
11-10-2004, 07:42 PM
Clay,
That looks so gooood. I got a decal set from Harlyn as well although my original ones are still good. I really got the set for the tank decals and wings. I want to repaint my tank. I ahve 2 questions for yeah:

1) From Harlyn, did you get laminated tank wings or non-laminated. I heard the non-lam can go bad if gas hits them, but look more OEM casue the laminated ones are thicker.

2) How did you paint your tank and what brand paint did you use?
Thanks so much and the X looks awesome,
Chris

ClayW
11-10-2004, 08:35 PM
Well I went with the non laminated. I actually did not think of asking harlan for the laminated tank decals. I dont know. I think if your carefull when you fill it with gas, and have a rag in hand just in case, you should be fine. As far as the tank. I did paint it my self with PPGs economy line of paint OMNI. Its pretty good stuff. Its a base coat clear coat. The color is GM Super white. Its a real bright white. Matches the fenders perfect. 4 coats of white base, and 4 coats of clear. It will cost you more to do the first tank than the second. I painted an entire motorcyle and 2 gas tanks with 1 qt of clear and hardner. The stuff goes a long way. The paint cuts to 50:50 with the reducer. So a qt of paint will give you a half gallon. It can sit up with the reducer in it for quite a long time. It doesnt hurt it to be reduced. Its well worth the effort. Mine looks like glass. You wont be dissapointed. Let me know when the time comes and I will give you some tips on painting it.

smokinp
11-10-2004, 08:40 PM
If you dont mind me asking,how much did those set you back?

clong
11-10-2004, 08:42 PM
What you did sounds awesome but may be a little more involved. Do you have your own spray gun that your shooting this with or does it come in an aerosol can? Where about are you buying this paint - PPg Omni

ClayW
11-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Hey smokin, which part are you refering to. Clong, I use a spraygun. I buy it at the local paint and body supply house. DONT use spaycans, it might look good for a few days, but it will turn to crap quick. Let me know if you get ready to do it. If you will send me your tank, I will repaint it for you. I will need to wait until it warms up a little though. If you will pay me for my supplies that I use and a little for my time I will hook you up. I made a post a while back saying so. I actually just bought a 350X metal tank last week to fix up , put new decals on and sell. I figure I can prob get $150 to $250 for it when im done with it.

smokinp
11-10-2004, 08:55 PM
I was referring to the decals...

ClayW
11-10-2004, 09:00 PM
Well I got a discount. LOL I have helped harlan make a set for the 87 Big Red. We are pretty good friends. He puts them on Ebay all the time under 350X. His Ebay ID is something like ( member 4530239 ) or something. No joke is says member then some numbers, thats harlan. He is very reasonable. Email him @ hjlysne@charter.net

ATCwithdrawals
11-10-2004, 09:27 PM
Hey Clay, tank looks good. I have used that omni myself , got some good results with it too. pretty hard to beat the price of it compared to dupont. I thought I would try some the dupont single stage/urethane on my Tecate tank. Just to see if the quality is a lot better.Any suggestions???

ClayW
11-10-2004, 09:31 PM
Well, urethane is good stuff. Definately. But, I was told by the supply house that I would want to use Base clear on a tank. It has a much Harder finish, and its much more durable when it comes to gas getting all over it. Thats what they told me. I used acrylic enamel on one big red tank, and it didnt hold up real good. When gas would get spilled on the tank, the paint would soften up. You could put a indention in the paint with your fingernail. Basecoat clearcoat wont do that. And yes, I know the urethane is much cheaper. :D

Dammit!
11-10-2004, 09:58 PM
I say keep the red boots. Looks good. Hell if it were mine I might even go with a red seat.

ClayW
11-10-2004, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I have been debating on the red seat option. I think the boots look good too.

kilabeez0
11-10-2004, 10:09 PM
that's funny, i have 3 of that guys old auctions in my ebay for stock 200x stickers, frame, rear fender, and sides of rear fenders. how does he make them?

ClayW
11-10-2004, 10:12 PM
He has a graphic artist that works with him to recreate them. I uses pictures, tracings, an measurements to get the proper size. They are perfect.

clong
11-11-2004, 02:23 PM
Clay what would you charge to repaint my 350X tank if I shipped it to you. I am very interested and off course I would pay you for supplies and your time and return shipping.
Thank you, Chris

ClayW
11-11-2004, 05:28 PM
Let me price the materials. I am out of hardner for the clear, and would prob need a nother pint of white. Let me do some checking, and I will let you know. Does it have many dents?

clong
11-11-2004, 05:51 PM
It is in really good shape but at the top left is a very small ding about 1/4" like a small pebble hit it. I would like to remove it, but its so small I can live with it there and still paint it.

Do body shops paint tanks. I bet they charge and arm and a leg.

ClayW
11-11-2004, 07:44 PM
If thats it, dont worry about it. I can make that dissappear pretty quick. The only issue I will have for the time being is the outside temp. If its cold I can paint. The paint will not dry right. It will look frosty. Dull finish. Let me see what I can do it for, then I will ask some questions at the paint store. Maybe I can pull it off. Worst case, I could paint it latter on down the road, when it warms up. :rolleyes:

clong
11-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Ohh yeah no stress. We can wait till spring or summer. I'm not in any hurry, its just something I want to do in the somewhat near future. We will be in touch. Thx, Chris

smokinp
11-12-2004, 01:02 AM
clay,I got in touch with Harlen and he is going to hook me up with orginal decals for my 200x!

ClayW
11-12-2004, 08:14 AM
Cool man. Hes a cool guy. You wont be dissapointed in the decals. :beer