PDA

View Full Version : Tri-z parts question

whiteman350x
01-09-2003, 03:15 PM
Does anyone know where I can find the parts to rebuild the front brake master cylinder on my 85 tri-z? I called Yamaha and they said they do not offer a complete kit. Dennis Kirk does not have anything either.

Jeroboam7
01-09-2003, 08:44 PM
I doubt your going to find a complete rebuild kit for them anywhere, your going to have to buy each piece seperatley, there aren't that many parts!

mike from long island
01-10-2003, 12:21 AM
i do remember someone saying some of the yamaha warrior parts will work but i guess you will have to figure it out. what do you need? i might have an extra front brake caliper but i will have to look if i do it is only good for parts thanks mike

TimSr
01-10-2003, 09:54 AM
Yamaha does have a kit, which has 6 parts, unless they are discontinued, but I doubt it. They have them listed on partsfish.com, and bikebandit.com as current parts. Part# is 4L0-W0041-00-00.

When you "called Yamaha" , did you actually call someone from the Yamaha Corportion, or did you call a Yamaha dealer?

whiteman350x
01-10-2003, 09:59 AM
Tim Sr., I called the local dealer. Thanks for the info and part#'s.

Jeb
01-10-2003, 11:29 AM
I have no patience for dealers who give someone the cold shoulder when they try to get parts for their 3-wheeler. I'm talking about the ones that don't even try.

I learned real quick it's best to look your own part numbers up at partsfish, bikebandit, or buykawasaki.com and then call a local dealer and don't even tell them its for a 3-wheeler, just give them the part number.

I had an experience a couple years ago where I called and asked for some parts for an 86 Tecate 3 wheeler. The response was "oh, you can't get parts anymore for 3 wheelers". Called the same dealer back later and gave him just part numbers and lo and behold he had one actually in stock at his shop and the rest were available. He said in a really smart-@$$ tone "just where'd you get these part numbers? I said wouldn't you like to know and hung up and ordered them from another dealer and had them in a couple days.

When asking for 3 wheeler parts, I also grew very tired of hearing things like "3 wheeler huh? you know those things aren't worth fixing." or "Those things were so dangerous", or "you need to get off that ancient relic and get a new quad or bike". This coupled with that "your wasting my time" attitude really makes me hate some dealers. It's a much better experience when you say "Hello, I need part number 69" and they say "sure I can get that by Tuesday", or "I have that in stock", or "Sorry discontinued". I would much rather hear "sorry discontinued" than their personal views on 3 wheelers which I could give a rats-@$$ about.

Sorry, had to vent! :-D because it sounds like you got ahold of one of those type of dealers.

TimSr
01-10-2003, 12:40 PM
I think thats more of a lazy bum behind the parts counter than a dealer problem. Probably should have called back, and talked to the parts guy's boss. Its no more difficult to look up an old part than a new one, and the dealership still makes the money, with the same profit margin, if the sale is made, so many would not be happy to know that their parts counter guy is too lazy to do his job.

We've have 4 Yamaha dealers within 15 miles of here, and the one has a parts guy thats a jerk, and I wont go there (a jerk about aANY parts, not just trike). The others have been very helpful, and when I ask for TriZ parts, it usually sparks a lot of curiosity and questions for me instead of idiotic "get rid of it" advice. Maybe its my age or something, but whenever I run into fellow dirt riders of any sort, the 3 wheeler seems to spark a lot more coversation than contention.