PDA

View Full Version : finally doing it

jakey
11-06-2004, 01:17 PM
Well guys for as long as I can remember I have loved the look of a 200x set up for racing. I have a wall covered with pictures of them. Curtis Spark's in particular. I have recently been thinking of selling mine and and purchasing an aircooled R just so i would have a better starting platform for a trike set up with that old school racing look. But then I realized, if i did that i would still long for that old X. I am going to be purchsing some wheelspacers, an old school number plate(still can't find one). Some Super Scoops, and a set of 16 inch hoosiers.

What are some other mods that these guys had on their set ups. (not motor mods, i got that covered).

If you guys have some more pics of some of these old trikes post em for me.

Thanks guys and ill keep you updated as this project comes along. its gonna take a while but iv got a nice trike to start with so theres gonna be no restoring.

jakey
11-06-2004, 01:18 PM
And I Just Realized But Its My One Year Anniversary At 3ww....rock On

RideRed250R
11-06-2004, 02:14 PM
race cut fenders, then make a lowering kit for the rear and drop the forks and big rims like 9inch with the 16 inchers would finish it all off. hope you do it i think it would be sick! u should put a big bore kit on it lol sorry couldnt help myself

jakey
11-06-2004, 02:38 PM
I was thinking something like that but i would seriously hate to cut up my mint fenders. Right now I have some 10 inch douglas rims and 20 inch shredders but it just doesn't look right. I have been searching the internet all day looking for some 16 inch tires that would mount on my rims and have yet to find some. How would I make a Lowering kit? The suspension drops about 2-3 inches when i sit on it already.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/Photos.cfm?ID=239 Check out this guys Sparks built X.

GreyhoundRugby
11-06-2004, 04:40 PM
If youre looking to sell those rims/tires pm me with what your asking.

vartiak15
11-07-2004, 11:39 AM
get a vented front fender too!

AirManCam
11-07-2004, 01:04 PM
I would just get a triz front fender, and then you have a vented one :p And don't chop up your fenders if they are decent. Get some fenders that you can redo, and then cut. Orrrrr get some fiberglass ones :-)

thefox
11-07-2004, 02:30 PM
Maybe an extended swingarm if you can find one. What are you planning for motor mods? I am starting to look around for parts to make an old school racer too.

Lots_Of_Nothing
11-07-2004, 02:54 PM
I wouldnt cut the plastic if your making it "old school" style. When you look at all the old racing bikes, it was hardly ever around, except for the front fender drilling (better air flow to the engine). Something that was real common is the low profile rear plastic (good luck finding). The cheapest way to lower your rear end is either find or make a lowering link. As for the front end, just raise the forks in the clamps however much you want. Curtis didn't always have 16" tires, In a interview he did with atvconnection he said how he preferred 18" or 20"s because he liked the MX feel..

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/racers/sparks200x.JPG

If you have the money you could track down a extended swinger.., And if you notice in that picture he's running a 85/86 250R front fender.

Theres other things they did, But that's some stuff off the top of my head, only other thing I can think of right now is, everything that wasnt needed was taken off (lighter).

BigGreenMachine
11-07-2004, 07:56 PM
Get rid of your steering stops so you get as much lock to lock movement for a tighter turning radius. An extended swinger and the low rear end is what make 200x's look great.

jakey
11-07-2004, 08:07 PM
Sorry Im not intested in selling my shredders. I like em for trail riding.

For motor mods I am just going to go with a pipe (still looking) hi comp piston, and a cam all from powroll.com

I like the look of that r fender on there. I wish i could find one of those number plates though.

Lot of Nothing, do you know what kind of front tire is on that x? anybody?

I already have my steering stops off, and its NICE.

I wish i could find a extended swinger...can't find one anywhere

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES GUYS....ITS GIVING ME SOME GOOD IDEAS...IM PRETTY ANXIOUS TO GET STARTED...THIS THING IS GONNA BE SWEET!!!!!!!1

Dammit!
11-07-2004, 10:24 PM
Try looking for a number plate for a 1985 Tecate. That's what I'm using in this old pic. You can replace the screen with any color you can find at a crafts store (those screens are used for some kind of knitting or something). I had a 250r front fender on it but don't have any pics. Looks WAY better with that fender than the stock one though.

Jimmy White used to use these same number plates on his old race tecates but they look great on just about anything.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/racers/tecate.JPG

jakey
11-08-2004, 04:48 PM
i like that look... those are definately going on it.

hrc85250r
11-10-2004, 12:39 AM
i want one of those # plates too!!!! where do you get them!!?!?!?!?!

Dammit!
11-10-2004, 12:42 AM
i want one of those # plates too!!!! where do you get them!!?!?!?!?!

Well back in the mid 80's you could just go into the store and say "that one" :p

That's a really old pic.

smokinp
11-10-2004, 01:39 AM
my x has some mods done to it....gotta love the 18 inchers!