PDA

View Full Version : '83 R rear shock issue

MyMistress86R
11-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Here's a question I have been dying to get a definitive answer for.

First, would someone please help me define/answer the differences between and functions of compression, dampening and rebound in regards to a typical adjustable rear shock. I am pretty sure of the compression and rebound traits, but informed knowledge would be good here. Also, exactly what does tightening or loosening the spring compression do for me?

Second, I ask this because on the '83 R that I ride, the rear shock is most likely whipped, but still usable if a few minor dialings could be changed. The adjustment knob on the resevoir (compression, right?) is non-functional. The dial on the bottom of the shock (dampening or rebound?) workes fine. The spring collar is dialed to damn near the exact center of the adjustment threads.

Now, the problem is, the shock is too stiff right now in such a way that it kicks on smaller bumps and the like. How do I go about softening it so I'm not doing high speed endos while riding?

The other issue is that when pressure is applied to the shock (i.e. sitting on the bike) then relieved, the shock does not return to full extension. It lags about the last inch of travel. Is that just a result of the shock most likely being shot?

Thanx in advance fellas,
Todd

BTW guys, this is the same '83 R that Derrick Adams saved just a few weeks ago and is investigating carb issues on.

Dammit!
11-05-2004, 11:19 AM
The rings on top of the shock will adjust how stiff the shock is and the amount of sag. Tightening those down will make the shock stiffer.

What you said about it kicking on small bumps though made me think your dampening needs to be adjusted. When you say it's too stiff and kicks on bumps, are you sure what's happening is because the shock is too stiff (hard to compress) or is it that the shock is springing back too quickly? My bet would be on the latter and that's a dampening adjustment. You don't want the shock to rebound instantly. Increasing the dampening will make the shock rebound from compression at a slower rate and give you less kick. That's what you want for high speed bumps. For low speed riding a low dampening setting (fast rebound) tends to give a more comfortable ride.

A little bit of sag is normal by the way. It's all preference I guess but I've always allowed a little bit of sag on my trikes. Helps keep the wheels to the ground over small bumps. Adjusting it so that there's zero sag will give you a rougher ride and less stability at high speed.

MyMistress86R
11-05-2004, 12:42 PM
It's definitely a matter of the shock being too stiff, not rebounding too fast. I'm thinking I need to loosen the spring compression adjustment to allow for a little bit more bounce.

Thank you for your input though,

Todd