PDA

View Full Version : Still No Spark

83185s
11-04-2004, 10:00 PM
i still have no spark on my 185s..i got a new coil and pulse unit and all else i can think of is the stator cdi box and wiring harness..can anybody help?

bigredhead
11-04-2004, 10:13 PM
that sucks man..

Got a voltmeter ? or multimeter?

MTS
11-04-2004, 10:36 PM
didnt you take the top end of this bike off..i thought i red in apost by you a wile back about that or somethingf....check see if your timein is set right

kilabeez0
11-04-2004, 11:03 PM
i have the same problem, read my post about the stator. stator is most common problem on 185/200s. someone posted a link for a new one for $11, cant beat that!

Dave223
11-05-2004, 01:21 AM
just a suggestion,
when i put together my 185s basket case, I couldnt get any spark....my brother in law started looking around and found that the coil wire wasnt in the coil completely..after cranking for what seemed to be hours, it was fixed in minutes...just a thought other than that, try all the simple things first..plug ins tight? try a diff plug, one that you know works? is the coil grounded on the frame? (not sure if it needs to be but I make sure) timing is correct? cdi is set to the correct gap? and the best one of all, is the kill switch on run? (been there , done that one too) :D :D
Dave

kryppy
11-05-2004, 07:10 AM
i still have no spark on my 185s..i got a new coil and pulse unit and all else i can think of is the stator cdi box and wiring harness..can anybody help?

Check the stator with a VOM, 100 - 300 ohms is good, anything else replace it.

kryppy
11-05-2004, 07:41 AM
Don't forget one of these!!!

Howdy
11-05-2004, 09:24 AM
Check the stator with a VOM, 100 - 300 ohms is good, anything else replace it.

The correct exciter coil ( part of the stator ) ohm reading for a 185s is 215 - 240 ohms.

How to check it:
Set the ohm meter to 1000 or 2000 ( different ohm meter have different settings ). Then unplug the black with red stiped wire going to the stator. Take the 2 leads from the ohm meter put one on the metal in the conector of the wire going to the stator ( black w/red stripe ). Take the other lead and touch the bare metal on the motor. Read the ohm meter to see what the reading is. The lower the number the weaker the spark. If it is a lot higher than the spex it could damage the CDI box or other components.

I hope this helps.
Howdy

83185s
11-06-2004, 11:34 PM
yea it was the stator sry i havnt replied sooner ive been busy lately...yea i took the head apart and cleaned everything to shiny! but it runs now..it was the stator so i bought i pulse unit and coil for nothin but thats ok cause it runs better now..ive tried those champion powersport plugs..not bad at all..they give plenty of spark for mine it ran like a top...now its got a autolight..i had low funds..real low...lol..anyway thanks for the help guys it was the stator..somethin i could have fixed in less than a day but didnt reallize it was that..it looked fine but it wasnt..and no dave the coil could jsut be dangling by the wires and still run..cough cough..lol but i fixed that problem to

GreyhoundRugby
11-07-2004, 01:44 AM
Powersports they available at any major store?

kryppy
11-07-2004, 08:30 AM
The correct exciter coil ( part of the stator ) ohm reading for a 185s is 215 - 240 ohms.

How to check it:
Set the ohm meter to 1000 or 2000 ( different ohm meter have different settings ). Then unplug the black with red stiped wire going to the stator. Take the 2 leads from the ohm meter put one on the metal in the conector of the wire going to the stator ( black w/red stripe ). Take the other lead and touch the bare metal on the motor. Read the ohm meter to see what the reading is. The lower the number the weaker the spark. If it is a lot higher than the spec it could damage the CDI box or other components.

I hope this helps.
Howdy

Just curious, If I wind one with 600 ohms will it explode my CDI box?
....or will it melt the tip off my cheap Champion plugs..... :)

Another Question, do all the different ATC's take different stators? I have seen some that look different, but look like they will fit in the correct place....are they all the same OHM value 215- 240?