PDA

View Full Version : Chain Maintenance

BIGCRIP28
11-02-2004, 08:56 AM
What is a good cleaner and lubricant for an O-ring chain? what about a standard chain?
:TrikesOwn

crackshot
11-02-2004, 10:42 AM
I soak the hell outta the chain with a good penetrating oil, ride it around for a little while then soak it with a good quality chain lube (PJ1) and then good to go. safe for o-ring chains. Also sticky too so it "clings" to chain so it won't fling off.

smokinp
11-02-2004, 02:20 PM
I use "Lucas" oil lube on my chain

Chris McDaniel
11-03-2004, 10:47 AM
The problem with an O-ring chain is that they are almost impossible to clean effectively. If you scrub them the orings get scraped then eventually fall off, the orings are supposed to hold lube inside from the factory. I like regular chains because I can blow mine off with the pressure washer and it looks brand new, then before I lube it, I ride it around to get it warm, then spray it down with some good chain lube and be sure to take a rag and spin the chain through the rag to wipe excess off so it doesn't fling everywhere. For best results, do this the day before you ride because the chain lube will get a chance to dry and won't fling off.

3Razors
11-03-2004, 01:53 PM
o-ring chains are self lubed. Just spray them down with WD-40 to keep them clean and protected.

smokinp
11-03-2004, 02:51 PM
i got motomaster chain lube form canadian tire anyone ever use this,is it safe to use i heard some products will ruin the chain I have used it on my old 200s and it is fine...

TimSr
11-04-2004, 11:42 AM
I used to use expensive chain lubes Id read about in magzines. With O-Ring chains Ive found that WD-40 works as well as anything. Its also does not require any degreasers to clean the chain that can get inside the O-ring seal and break down the internal lubricants. I simply wash the chain with the pressure washer when I wash the rest of the bike, and then spray it with a good coating of WD40. Ive found no difference in chain life, and certainly none that would justify the cost of the expensive chain lubes.