PDA

View Full Version : idle problem with my 83' 185s

name101
11-02-2004, 02:46 AM
It usually starts on the first pull. My problem is the idle is high. I stoped riding it because I bought my first street bike over the summer and I gave it to my sister for her husband and children to ride, Since I only got it for in the snow but would still like to ride it in the snow this year. It ran fine for me but shortly after he got it, It started to act funny. It would die after he rode it for awhile, I thought I had fixed it by adjusting the idle up some and it was fine from that point on but than it started the idle problem several days after the dying issue. It just idles really high as soon as you start it. It has a rebuilt carb on it, a new plug, new oil, good compression, and it doesn't leak oil anywhere. I've taken the carb apart several times and cleaned it, so i'm sure that isn't a problem. I've adjusted the needle on every notch and nothing changes. No matter where the idle screws are at. Earlier today I was working on it trying to figure out what the problem was and I started to move things around ( around the airbox and carb, just jiggling things ) and some how the idle did go down to almost normal and it stayed there for a few minutes before it returned to reving up to high. I really hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance for your time and any help that you can provide. Ryan

Dammit!
11-02-2004, 03:21 AM
Possibly an intake leak. Spray starter fluid around the intake boot, carb, anywhere it could be sucking air while it's running and see if the idle speed goes up higher. If it does you have a leak.

sfynks
11-02-2004, 03:24 AM
might just want to check for cracks in the airbox boot or the airbox itself....this would allow to much air causing high idle....and would also explain the incident with the jiggling around the airbox......had a fourwheeler with the same problem once and thats what it was on mine anyway.....also.....this could be bad for the engine....cause the crack would be letting unfiltered air in