PDA

View Full Version : reseating bead on tire. just add more air?

conig
11-01-2004, 01:27 PM
hey I was out riding my big red yesterday and got in a bit of an accident on a hill climb.

my back right tire, came off the bead, it holds air but the tire kind of shifted to further inside the rim( theres a 1/4 gap inbetween were the tire is supposed to sit and the outside of the tire)

I've never seen or heard of a problem like this, can I just add air to get the tire to expand and go back to its orriganl location?

if you have any other suggestions for fixing this please let me know.

86250RZ
11-01-2004, 02:21 PM
I would break the tire back down ( if you can not break the tire down,let the air out and mop around the bead and lip of rim as best as you can) and get some soap and water ( dish washing liguid works just fine) mop the bead of the tire and the lip of the rim with the soap and air it back up, this does two things, it cleans any dirt or trash that may be on the rim or tire and also aids in the tire seating properly.

OldSchoolin86
11-01-2004, 02:27 PM
He said it well ^^^ but I'll add that there is usualy a max PSI on the tire for setting the bead. This isn't terribly odd you just need to reseat the bead.

conig
11-01-2004, 02:31 PM
well I can put soap on it but the tire is not outside the wheel its inside. the bead of the tire is stuck on the large bell part of the rim. inside the lips of the actual rim.

thats why I was wondering if I could fill it up to kind of opo the bead back to its correct location.

OldSchoolin86
11-01-2004, 02:38 PM
That's what we are talking about. Read it again, maybe you missed it.

hondaATCman
11-02-2004, 01:31 AM
Yeah, fill it to the max PSI, and it should pop right back in place. If not you might have to finish breaking the rest of the bead and try it again.

MTS
11-02-2004, 01:54 AM
and if that fails theres always either...but im not gona go into that unless you must..cuze its dangurous...:p

TheOlderFox
11-02-2004, 09:51 AM
Another trick to seating a tire is to put a ratchet strape around the middle of the tire, so as the tire expands, the strap forces the outside of the tire to move more since the middle just can't balloon out. If you have an air compressor just make sure the tank is full. The faster the air gets into the tire the better. Once you hit max PSI, if the tire still isn't seated, bounce the tire on the ground a bit. Sometimes the vibrations help out. And like others have said, just make sure you hit the rim with soapy water and that it is clean.

bigredhead
11-02-2004, 10:18 AM
The strap thing is the way to go.. this way your tire won't baloon out and warp, a belt or a thick rope works just as good, but a tie-down strap is great !

Good luck !

( if possible, i really suggest breaking the beads and cleaning out the rim and tire real good, when you flipped, youmight have gotten mud and grass between the rim and tire wich will give you all kinds of problems in the long run... i gota do mine too and don't look forward to it ! )

Derrick Adams
11-02-2004, 10:22 AM
Did anyone mention to remove the valve core? You should always do that when seating beads. It forces air in more rapidly and also lets it out faster after seating. Much safer!

86250RZ
11-02-2004, 01:02 PM
The air core being removed ( which lets air enter the tire faster) and the belt or rope trick is not going to help in this situation, that only works when trying to get the bead of the tire to the lip of the rim I.E. getting the tire to catch air. He's not having a problem with getting the tire to "catch air" he is having a problem with the tire bead pulling under the bevel of the rim while the tire is airing up (the bevel is the hump in the wheel just before the lip where the tire bead actualy seats) so he needs to soap it up real good to get it past this point, if he just keeps adding air to the tire it will most likely just force it's self under the bevel even more and worst case, blow up in his face.

bigredhead
11-02-2004, 01:53 PM
ahh.. i think i understand now.. it's uhm.. " over-seated " LOL..

In that case, remove the valve core, and squish it back on the rim, got any heavy friends !??? Then blow it back into place.

MTS
11-02-2004, 02:28 PM
IF soap and water dont work use some conola oil mixed with some gas and spray it round the bead and rim...works like a charm :)

OldSchoolin86
11-02-2004, 02:54 PM
ahh.. i think i understand now.. it's uhm.. " over-seated " LOL..

In that case, remove the valve core, and squish it back on the rim, got any heavy friends !??? Then blow it back into place.

I don't think it's over seated, he was just having trouble finishing seating the tire. 86250RZ hit it on the head on the first responce.