PDA

View Full Version : Helmet saved my life!!!

kryppy
11-01-2004, 10:57 AM
Was doing about 40 running way ahead of my quad buddys when I couldn't make this 90 degree turn. I thought I was going to crash through a wind break in between fields, god was I wrong. It was an irrigation ditch 10 feet deep with a five foot bank.
End over end upsidedown right in. Hit my head on a 36 inch drain or pump pipe with the bike upside down on top of me under five feet of water!!
Bike floated rightup and I jumped right up to try and catch my friends who were past there already. Damn five foot bank...

Anyway, drained the crankcase three times and empyted the float bowl and all is well again!! Hondas rule.

BTW: My helmet is a PASGT kevlar army helmet. No damage, and dried right away.

smokinp
11-01-2004, 11:03 AM
ouch! is the trike okay? glad to hear that you made it out....

kryppy
11-01-2004, 11:06 AM
ouch! is the trike okay? glad to hear that you made it out....

I swear the trike is running better now, and stoped smoking!!!

I learned I need a real air box cover, made one from lexan but it doesn't seal real well.

kryppy
11-01-2004, 11:08 AM

I learned I need a real air box cover, made one from lexan but it doesn't seal real well.

LOL, here is me draining more water when I got home

Kook
11-01-2004, 11:24 AM
"Bike floated upright"... gotta love that! Way to go w/the helmet, Testify Brother, Testify!

Howdy
11-01-2004, 12:01 PM

Now it's steaming!! lmao j/k

Glad to hear your ok.
Howdy

kryppy
11-01-2004, 09:39 PM
"Bike floated upright"... gotta love that! Way to go w/the helmet, Testify Brother, Testify!

Let me clarify, right up - UPSIDEDOWN. :(

I want a giant front tire and maybe some boat fenders to make it really float upright.

MTS
11-01-2004, 10:11 PM
lol...looked like fun glad your ok...honda rules :D

Pistonhead
11-01-2004, 10:12 PM
Glad you made it out fine, Are you handle bars bent at all?

Meat-BoX
11-01-2004, 11:39 PM
Glad to see you ok. I got stuck underwater when my Mojave flipped over on me when I was stuck in a ditch, its scary. Anyway whats up with this Kevlar Army Helmet you were wearing? Got a pic of it? Thats a unique riding helmet.

kryppy
11-02-2004, 08:54 AM
']Glad to see you ok. I got stuck underwater when my Mojave flipped over on me when I was stuck in a ditch, its scary. Anyway whats up with this Kevlar Army Helmet you were wearing? Got a pic of it? Thats a unique riding helmet.

You can see it hanging on the handle bars in the pic I posted above. Gives you a real nice field of view, and the goggles that go with it are very light, clear and strong. They are on Ebay all the time.
I figure if it is good enough for our boys, it is overkill for me. I'll be set if some mad farmer starts shooting. :)

crackshot
11-02-2004, 10:36 AM
A year ago I was riding along a irrigation canal bank and the shoulder gave away tossing me and the trike in 15 feet deep of swift moving water.
Trike was still running when it went under and boy did it sound wierd.
I was afraid I snapped the connecting rod,
The only thing that saved trike from sinking was the tires! The trike was upside down and all I saw was 3 tires floating down the canal.
I swam over to trike grabbed the rack and side stroked it to the bank which was like a wall.
I beached it the best i could in the weeds, went home and had to use my wifes 4X4 and tow chain to get it out!
Drained the tank, pulled spark plug out and pumped all water out and flushed case with 1 1/2 gallons of oil changes.

Sucker started up after about 10 pulls after dunking it.
YOU CANT KILL A HONDA!

83185s
11-02-2004, 06:45 PM
crackshot ive seen that post before...wat did u do copy and paste? lol...good thing trailprotrailpro ok kryppy...nice helmet ..i liek the idea

Pistonhead
11-02-2004, 07:36 PM
I wear an army helmet when riding sometimes, I also use one when working under high dead ready to fall trees on an open station tractor.

kryppy
11-04-2004, 09:27 AM
A year ago I was riding along a irrigation canal bank and the shoulder gave away tossing me and the trike in 15 feet deep of swift moving water.
Trike was still running when it went under and boy did it sound wierd.
I was afraid I snapped the connecting rod,
The only thing that saved trike from sinking was the tires! The trike was upside down and all I saw was 3 tires floating down the canal.
I swam over to trike grabbed the rack and side stroked it to the bank which was like a wall.
I beached it the best i could in the weeds, went home and had to use my wifes 4X4 and tow chain to get it out!
Drained the tank, pulled spark plug out and pumped all water out and flushed case with 1 1/2 gallons of oil changes.

Sucker started up after about 10 pulls after dunking it.
YOU CANT KILL A HONDA!

Must be a way to make them float upright! I have an 81 200 with a 25x13x9 tire. That might do it., but it don't fit in between my 84 200s forks.

Today I am going to try and snorkle it so well it will run at the bottom of my pool. I think I am going to make the exhaust high as well so it can be started under water.

How else can water get in the crankcase I can seal up?

bigredhead
11-04-2004, 09:38 AM
Must be a way to make them float upright! I have an 81 200 with a 25x13x9 tire. That might do it., but it don't fit in between my 84 200s forks.

Today I am going to try and snorkle it so well it will run at the bottom of my pool. I think I am going to make the exhaust high as well so it can be started under water.

How else can water get in the crankcase I can seal up?

Crankcase vent.

Pull start assembly

gas cap

gettin deep at that point !!!

kryppy
11-04-2004, 10:11 AM
Crankcase vent.

Pull start assembly

gas cap

gettin deep at that point !!!

I've been that deep already!! The air intake under the tank is OK, just too low
for what we ride through. If the nose floated good and high I could probably skip the snorkel!!! I need a sump pump in the air box!!!!!!