PDA

View Full Version : Fork oil?

atcmatt
10-30-2004, 07:00 PM
Hey guys,

Im rebuilding my forks today and i need to know what type of oil to put in them. I dotn have any oil that is specifically "fork oil" but i do have some differential "extreme pressure" oil. Would this diff oil be okay to put in? And its about 110ml each leg isnt it???

Thanks,

Matt

jeswinehart
10-30-2004, 08:01 PM
well i just done a 3 room + 1 garage search for my 250es/sx manual matt ,,, it's at work !

yeah,,, here in the states there's sevral types of fork oils in varying weights you can use. but the 350x's call for tranny fluid ( although most folks use fork oils now ) ,,, for no more suspension then the bigreds give i don't think there is a big difference.
my 85 bigred after restoring it 3 - 4 years ago still rides like a lumber wagon.

what trike you working on anyway ,,,
john

ClayW
10-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Yeah I used tranny oil in my old SX matt. Thats what the book called for. But you can get fork oil now if you want it. I will just stick with the tranny fluid. Cheap.

atcmatt
10-30-2004, 09:42 PM
Its for my 250es John. Its all good. I couldent be bothered waiting so i just filled it with diff oil. Then i dident like the idea of it in there so i drained it and put some gearbox stuff in it instead. They seem to work okay (not that there on the bike) but im just glad thats out of the way and now i can get back to plating bolts and stuff. I have the whople rear end in my trike now. New bearings, seals, paint and stuff all the way round. Man this trike looks sweet so far and i havent even begun reassembling the front end.

Thanks Clay and John.

Matt

Dads
10-31-2004, 07:32 AM
The thing to watch is the wait. I run 5-w or 10-w. the oil affects the compression rate of the shock. thicker the oil stiffer the shock.