PDA

View Full Version : Spark problems on a 185S!

Mick04
10-27-2004, 08:14 AM
Hello all, I am new to the board and was wondering if I could pick a few brains. I am trying to get my 81 185S running that I had as a kid so that my son can now ride it. It was running but it has lost spark. I tested the ignition coil to be good and I believe the stator coil and lighting coil are bad per the repair manual I have. The manual states that if I touch the stator lead coming out of the plug/harness to ground I should have 100-400 ohms. I get nothing. The lighting coil is shorted as well per the manual because when I ohm the two leads I also get nothing. Does anyone have a stator assembly lying around that they would like to part with? Also, is there a way to rule out the CDI box? Thanks in advance.

:beer

kryppy
10-27-2004, 11:21 AM
Hello all, I am new to the board and was wondering if I could pick a few brains. I am trying to get my 81 185S running that I had as a kid so that my son can now ride it. It was running but it has lost spark. I tested the ignition coil to be good and I believe the stator coil and lighting coil are bad per the repair manual I have. The manual states that if I touch the stator lead coming out of the plug/harness to ground I should have 100-400 ohms. I get nothing. The lighting coil is shorted as well per the manual because when I ohm the two leads I also get nothing. Does anyone have a stator assembly lying around that they would like to part with? Also, is there a way to rule out the CDI box? Thanks in advance.

:beer

You can get just the primary ignition stator from hyperparts.com for $11.
You need to get the flywheel off. The ignition stator has about 200 ohms, maybe the wire is just broke off. You will know when you look in there.

It is an easy repair, and it will start easier when you are done. Mine does anyway.