PDA

View Full Version : IS IT WORTH IT???

Tweeked
01-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Hey guys,
One of my dads friends has an 83' Honda Big Red I believe its a 200, he said he would sell it to us very cheap (about 100-200) He says it runs great, but my dad is concerned about saftey issues. We rode 3-wheelers a long time ago and they wern't very stable, we had many close calls. But my question is, do you all think is possible or worth it (money and time wise) by throwing on a quads front end? That would give it great stability but it would probly cost. Are there any other ways of making the ATC more stable, or as stable as a ATV with out spending allot of money? I would appreciate your help or advice, thanks.

-Mike

P.S. I've attached a pic of the trike, take a look at it, tell me what you think.

200x Basket
01-08-2003, 01:05 PM
buy it and resell it for more $$$. it will cost way to much and be a POS if you put a quad front end on it.

Tweeked
01-08-2003, 01:14 PM
Wow,
That was quick.
Thanks for you help, I will take that into concideration. What do you think a good price to sell it at if I did what you said?

Anyone else have any suggestions or help?

Thanks again for your help

-Mike

BigRed83
01-08-2003, 03:01 PM
Hey, I own that same trike, you dont need no stinking quad front end, and if you can get that for 100 to 200 bucks, I'd snatch it right up, that'd probably go for 600 and up, and saftey issuses? man all you need is some riding experence, just dont get to crazy so early on , these trikes dont have a really high top speed, but, they have plenty o power, for pulling, donuts, or whatever. I'd get this trike If I were you.

Later, Danny

BigRed83
01-08-2003, 03:05 PM
oh, and I think thats an 84, or are my eyes fooling me? is that a revers lever on there?

Tweeked
01-08-2003, 04:50 PM
Hey,
Thanks for the reply. I'll also take into concideration what you have said. So is it an 84', do 83's not have a reverse lever? How well are the brakes on the trike? Are there any common problems that occure on this model due to poor maitinence, harsh driving, etc? I found allot of parts for this trike off of BikeBandit.com ( http://www.bikebandit.com/PartsBandit/shopindex.asp?submit_from_stage=4&section_dept_id=1&section_dept_name=OEM+Parts&dept_type_id=2&model_dept_year=1984&model_dept_mfr=Honda&model_dept_id=179181 ) So finding parts won't be that hard.

Thanks again, See ya

-Mike

Heres another pic from a little differn't angle.

jeswinehart
01-08-2003, 05:03 PM
you might just try riding awhile Tweeked. big reds are very stable machines. you ain't gonna set no speed records with it but it wasn't made for that anyway. it was designed as a workhorse and fills the billet very well in that regard. extreamly depenable also.

john

86waterpumper
01-08-2003, 05:44 PM
tweeked, I agree with what the others have said, I would encourage you to buy it and try it out you might like it alot and not want to get rid of it, I'd say as trikes go the big red is right up there towards the top as far as stability is concerned. If you did decide to get rid of it you could definately make some money. What ever you do don't convert it to a quad, there are too few trikes around already. Also on your parts, try www.servicehonda.com they are a good deal cheaper than bikebandit will be. Good luck with it that is a steal :)

ATCRYDER
01-08-2003, 06:10 PM
3 wheelers are simple as anything to ride. Ride around the yard for the afternoon and youre ready to really ride......if youre a quick leanrer or have experience.

For $100-$200 (or even $400) you can NOT go wrong. Resell it if its not you.

GOod luck,
Rob

Tweeked
01-08-2003, 06:44 PM
Hey guys,
Well I talked to my dad and he said we will go take a look at it and if nothings seriously wrong with it we'll take it home :) . After hearing all of you guys talk about this trike in a good way I have reconcidered and decided to leave it how it is, and not worry about making it a "quad". I hope to add some big swamp tires and a few other things to it though. Is there anywhere I can find accesories, pipes, and other nice things for this trike? Thanks for all your help guys :).

I will keep you posted on how everything turns out, I can't wait till Saturday.

P.S. I am a very fast learner, I have experience with Buggies, Quads, Dirtbikes, Trikes.

ATCRYDER
01-08-2003, 06:48 PM
Good Deal, Tweeked.

By the way, welcome to the site, I hope you can stay a while. Youre a very nice, polite and obviously educated kid (characters alot of "Come and go" kids dont have on these boards).

:clap

Best of luck!,
Rob

Tweeked
01-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Hey,
I apriciate your compliment, I try to be polite and not act like most other kids I see in forums flooding up the place. I really dislike kids who have no respect towards others. Anyways, I should be hear as long as everything falls into place :) . I enjoy asking questions here because I get a well informed reply and some comic relief as well :-P .

Thanks guys, See ya

-Mike

HemiChallenger71
01-08-2003, 09:24 PM
Glad to hear your not thinking about making it a quad, some simple stability helpers are lower profile tires with bigger wheels, axle spacers, wider axle, or different axle hubs. Change the oil, and service the air filter every once in a while and this machine should last you forever, as long as it's in decent shape before you get it. It LOOKS as if it is in decent shape.

HemiChallenger71
01-08-2003, 09:27 PM
Glad to hear your not thinking about making it a quad, some simple stability helpers are lower profile tires with bigger wheels, axle spacers, wider axle, or different axle hubs. Change the oil, and service the air filter every once in a while and this machine should last you forever, as long as it's in decent shape before you get it. It LOOKS as if it is in decent shape.

Tweeked
01-09-2003, 01:06 PM
Hey,
Thanks for the stability tips. I have found some nice looking tires called Spider trac, ( http://www.denniskirk.com/powervendor/details/detail.asp?serverid=OffRoad&PartNo=540927 ) and they look like they have a pretty low profile. I would probly put those on the rear and a single Bear Claw ( http://www.denniskirk.com/powervendor/details/detail.asp?serverid=OffRoad&PartNo=540376 ) on the front. Around my house there are lots of woods, with many steep 4x4 trails and even some mud bogs around :D . So I would need some nice mud slinger tires...Hence the Spider tracs and Bear Claw. I have found some wheel spacers but only for the ATC250R and other ATVs ( http://www.rockymountainatv.com/home.asp?sid=0002167572 and search for "spacers" ). Does anyone know where I could find some for the 200es?

One more thing...Where can I find either a wider axle or wider hubs for the 200es?

Thanks guys, See ya.

-Mike

BigRedster
01-09-2003, 05:23 PM
It's definitely an '84; exactly what I own. I have a few trails around where I live that I go riding on. My 'Red will do almost anything, it's my pride and joy. :D Very dependable, very stable...what a powerhouse :!: As long as you keep it tuned up, it'll most definitely last you..feel free to PM anytime for questions you might have..by the way, how old are you? I'm 15...nice to have another youngster on the board :)

Josh