PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Z from Hell... Sand Dragster

CHAINSAW
10-23-2004, 03:23 PM
Today, the 85 dragster finally got her heart transplant. Here she is. I havent heard it run yet... cause I cant hardly kick it. I gotta jump up on the lever, and put all my weight on it, and if its not Top Dead Center going down, it wont spin.... I'll probably have to pull start it, until I get used to it. Or figure out some kind of de-compression release. I also have to make a spacer plate for the stator cover, cause the bolts on the flywheel stick out to far.
A few specs for ya.. 465cc 7mil stroker, cut gears, 85 Tri Z bottom end, YZ400 crank- narrowed and lightened, YZ465 piston, 42mm Mikuni carb. Well over 200 hours of machine work on this motor, and truley a one of a kind.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/capthowdy/465006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/capthowdy/465010.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/capthowdy/465004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/capthowdy/465009.jpg

And compared to the 87 YZ motor that was in it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/capthowdy/465002.jpg

TrikeKid
10-23-2004, 03:43 PM
looks like one bad machine.

twgranger
10-23-2004, 04:25 PM
That is awsome, looks killer.

trikerider2oo7
10-23-2004, 04:27 PM
that would be one hell of a scary ride...is that the engine you got like 10 grand or more into?

BigGreenMachine
10-23-2004, 04:28 PM
that is very impressive. looks great in stock colours. There is nothing overkill except the motor, to the untrained eye nothing but the swinger and drag pipe would make it seem like a threat, not a true sleeper but close. what did u mean by the gears were cut, less weight by removing a gear or does it change the ratio? Just noticed, the vented fenders look cool.

mywifeknowseverything
10-23-2004, 04:42 PM
Hey bud,,,,That looks like it could do some damage....Are those Taller Haulers in the rear??? Where did you get the Front tire??? Very Very CLEAN :cool:
Maybe one of these days(Next Yr Maybe) We could hook up Somewhere Halfway at a Strip....
Two Z's out the Hole!!!!!! That should turn some heads....
BBBBBBRRRRRRAAAAAAPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on a Excellent Job :beer

3WheelsForever
10-23-2004, 04:52 PM
That thing looks awesome Neil!! Its gonna be crazy fast! You happen to know if an 88 yz 250 clutch cover sidecase will work on a Tri-Z?

Derrick Adams
10-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Holy mother!!! Now, please sell me your YZ engine!

83185s
10-23-2004, 05:47 PM
holy shat that thing is one bad *** machine!!! id take it for a spin if i could!!

AirManCam
10-23-2004, 08:33 PM
Damn Neil!! That suckers gonna be fast!! To bad goki didnt make a kit for that huh? :p

Dammit!
10-23-2004, 10:07 PM
I think you might need a seat belt.

MTS
10-23-2004, 10:55 PM
I think you might need a seat belt.
screw the seat belt you need a 5 point harnes for that thing :eek: :TrikesOwn

CHAINSAW
10-24-2004, 12:26 AM
what did u mean by the gears were cut, less weight by removing a gear or does it change the ratio?

Cut gears just handle more HP from what Ive read. Its just less friction, so there might be a slight increase in HP, but nothing to noticable... mainly its done to handle the abuse from that massive top end.

You happen to know if an 88 yz 250 clutch cover sidecase will work on a Tri-Z?

Im not positive about the 88 cases. An 87 would work, but you would have to weld in a cover where the power valve goes up. If all the bolt holes would line up, I dont see why not, as long as the inards are the same.

Are those Taller Haulers in the rear??? Where did you get the Front tire???

Just regular 10 paddle Haulers for now.. what I was running the YZ motor with. If this motor holds together, and looks like something Im gonna keep, Ill for sure have to move up a lot in tires. The front was on the bike when I got it.. its a Nankang (sp?)

that would be one hell of a scary ride...is that the engine you got like 10 grand or more into?

If someone where to walk into a machine shop, and say "Hey, build me this motor" then yes. Including parts, I would say this motors net worth is just over $12,000 just a rough figure. I dont have much at all invested, because most of the motor was thrown in with my 85 when I bought it. I have a bit invested, but most of the hard expensive stuff was allready done before I required it.

CHAINSAW
10-24-2004, 12:28 AM
Also, it had been brought up in the past. This is a picture of the flywheel/stator setup in the 87 YZ motor that was in the bike. Its made by Tryke, Trike, not sure of the spelling because I cant find any info about that company anymore. Its pretty wild.... wish I had another couple for my other Zs. Tell me that motor doesnt wrap up fast.. hehehe. Thats why that little 250 was so fast.. wouldnt have any jet lag.

Pistonhead
10-24-2004, 12:32 AM
WOW, man you've outdone yourself once again, that is one sweet machine, I'm getting drool all over my keyboard just looking at it! I salute you! That will be one awesome ride, scary too!

TRI-Zbrian
10-24-2004, 01:35 PM
yeah i agree 100% man that is bad *** man.... what are you doing with the 87 yz 250 engine.... :D wanna sell it...

CHAINSAW
10-24-2004, 09:21 PM
Everything has a price tag.. lol No, the 87 motor isnt for sale.

twgranger
10-24-2004, 09:28 PM
I thought you put black plastic on it?

CHAINSAW
10-25-2004, 01:08 AM
I did for about 2 days,..... then remembered why I hate new black plastic. It looks like poop, until its been worn and weathered.

Meat-BoX
10-25-2004, 02:50 AM
Chainsaw u Psyco, You have to take it for a good spin and then write in and let us know how the beast ran and handled. That is one mean *** duner. :beer

TrikerR
10-25-2004, 10:04 AM
imagine if that was alowed on the streets...just think of the ricers face when there little hyundai excels with a milo tin on the exhaust get overtaken by a trike....ahahahhaha eat S**T RICERS

Pistonhead
10-25-2004, 10:18 AM
imagine if that was alowed on the streets...just think of the ricers face when there little hyundai excels with a milo tin on the exhaust get overtaken by a trike....ahahahhaha eat S**T RICERS

NOW YOURE TALKIN BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

CHAINSAW
10-25-2004, 08:04 PM
I picked up a DVD Camcorder this weekend, so plans are.. its virgin run will be on film.. lol Ill post it up to show the damage.

Curtis-Tecate3
10-26-2004, 12:07 PM
That ignition is by "Trike" but they are long gone. I have a similar ignition on my Tecate by Moto-Plat who is also long gone. PVL makes a similar one but I dont know if they make one for a Z...

Curtis.

CHAINSAW
01-23-2005, 09:06 PM
After 3 months of tinkering and toying, the big beast finally roared to life today. It only ran for about 10-15 seconds, but she sounded mean. I pulled the motor back out mainly to get a head stay built, and to polish everything up good. I might put it back in for Trikefest, but havent decided. I got something else in the works, and if it turns out hot, this monster might be kept in the back room only to play with the big boys.

jakey
01-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Oh my god...my girl walked by as i looked at this and goes..." are you crying"...haha...

its just so beautiful...(i had to keep telling myself im not gay as i said that) haha

Has everybody heard those Budweiser "real men of genius" commercials...we need to make one up for Chainsaw

"Real Man of genius...today we salute you Mr. Chainsaw...for it was you who decided to hack apart a completely fine bad azz machine...only to make it better...it is not just a trike you have created...but a temple of all trike lovers affection...the epitome of what we all strive and hope to be...So for you Mr. Chainsaw, you real man of genius you, i crack open a budweiser in honor of you...and your godly machine."

GET ON YOUR BIKES AND RIDE...sorry i had to throw that in at the end...

Now i guess you wont be needing those other z's...so wanna trade one of em for a x? haha

Nice work

mymint87
01-23-2005, 09:57 PM
well said Jakey,

freaking hellfire missle.....

Chainsaw. you ARE a crazy bad boy..... salute :beer

CHAINSAW
01-23-2005, 10:28 PM
I wish I could take all the credit for conjuring up this motor, but I cant. Im just the guy who pieced it back together, and hoping it stays in one peice for a while. :)

Tri-ZNate
01-23-2005, 11:34 PM
What kind of fuel do you have to run in a beast like that?

CHAINSAW
01-23-2005, 11:55 PM
Im just gonna run 112 octane. Its was ran on alcohol before, but I dont want the hassle that comes with Alcohol. I might even look into Nitro since a lot of guys are running it now, and compare to see how it is to 112.

MTS
01-24-2005, 01:39 AM
Im just gonna run 112 octane. Its was ran on alcohol before, but I dont want the hassle that comes with Alcohol. I might even look into Nitro since a lot of guys are running it now, and compare to see how it is to 112.
FYI nitro in a trike smells like crap....literall it really really stinks LOL, but man that thing is SWEET nothing elses can describe it :D ;) :TrikesOwn :beer

New2ATC
01-24-2005, 08:11 AM
holy mother of flying cows! that thing is awesome.. cant wait for the vid, that thing should scream....

RideRed250R
01-24-2005, 02:28 PM
thats beautiful! its going to kill anything LOL
adam

bigredhead
01-24-2005, 03:03 PM
That's awsome man ! gotta do something with that pipe.. one roll and she's screwed.

All that work and money. and you're gonna let it sit there and rust ?????

MTS
01-24-2005, 08:04 PM
That's awsome man ! gotta do something with that pipe.. one roll and she's screwed.

All that work and money. and you're gonna let it sit there and rust ?????
"SANDDRAGGER" ....how ofter do you roll going in a stright line ???? o dont hahah ;) :beer

CHAINSAW
01-24-2005, 09:30 PM

Last time I had a trike belly up, was before most of the youngins on this board were walking. I dont roll anything, much less my dragster.. :)

droopie31
01-24-2005, 10:19 PM
Hey neil, you want some nitro? My cousin bought a case of it to run in his Trans Am, but decided he's not going to mix it up. Hes got the mask and the whole nine yards. LOL i could see you runnin that crap if trailprotrailpro trike, mixin it up havin to where a mask.

drew

CHAINSAW
01-24-2005, 10:49 PM
Whoa.. you gotta wear a mask to mess with the stuff? lol Ill just stick with Racing fuel then.. ahahaha. Id end up with a brain tumor to go along with the rest of my health problems..

mymint87
01-24-2005, 11:14 PM
darn chainsaw...had to take a second look..... :w00t: :w00t:

Dan Tenn
01-25-2005, 11:42 AM

If your going to switch to nitromethane, then youve got all the headaches of alcohol plus the destruction caused by nitro. When running nitro you first need to start the bike on alcohol, then turn on the nitro after its running. Nitro is a nasty beast, I believe there was a thread here or at .org about top fuel racers, and you can see what were talking about. Granted those are four-strokers, but if every thing works perfectly, all you need to replace are the valves (half of which are melted), valve springs, probably a warped head, pistons, and all the bearings. Good luck. You will also need a fuel line that looks more like a garden hose than a gas line, and probably need an electric fuel pump to make sure that it wont go lean on you or kaboom. I'm not sure Id like to be sitting that close to the motor either when it spits the head off as if it didnt have any bolts in it at all. When I was racing, the NHRA required the use of kevlar bags covering the block, heads, blower, and clutch. That way when then engine decided to dissasemble itself the parts werent going into the stands killing people. :eek: Id stick to race gas. I'm not saying it cant be done, but I'm sure there would be quite a few destroyed parts before it got dialed in, and that motor is one of a kind.

CHAINSAW
01-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Allright cool Dan Tenn, thanks for the info. You made a convincing argument, so Ill stick with the cheaper stuff. Good to have people who have knowledge like that on the forums! :)