PDA

View Full Version : Tank Shroud mess

RideRed250R
10-22-2004, 10:34 PM
i bought some 83R tank shrouds off of ebay the other day. They are painted white and starting to flake off, I was wondering if any off you have striped paint off of plastic be4 and wat will be the best way to get it off?
adam

GreyhoundRugby
10-22-2004, 10:40 PM
Id go with car sand paper, thinner or stripper is gonna destroy the plastic.

GreyhoundRugby
10-22-2004, 10:54 PM
I know it wont melt the plastic right off, but if a guy were to read the directions hed let it sit for about 15 minutes,

jeswinehart
10-22-2004, 11:11 PM
yessir i have, some dumb nigger tried painting the plastics on my old 84 250R, what i did was get ZIPSTRIP paint remover,, got it all over a rag, rubbed on plastic, let bubble for a minute, hose off, all of it washed off perfect,, trick is, you cant leave it on for too long or it will eat the plastics!, its better to take it off to soon with a hose and do another quick coat of it then to risk it being on to long.

the plastics are too thick for the stripper to just "destroy" them in an instant, it will take atleast 5 minutes for the thinner to even get into the plastic.

ummm ,,, bad form lots of nothing .

anyway ,,, oven cleaner works very well in gumming up paint for removal on plastics. you will hafta let it set for a couple of hours or so but it loosens up the paint well enough so as to be washed away using a soft brissle brush and soapy water be sure to wear some rubber gloves and yes ,,, it will take your breath away too but you ain't gonna find a better , cheap paint remover from plastic ,,, plus won't hurt the plastics even if you let it dry on there overnight.

john

Dammit!
10-22-2004, 11:15 PM
If it's already flaking off, a good power washer might even do the trick.