PDA

View Full Version : tri-z wrench report jetting

denn
10-21-2004, 07:44 PM
I just recently put my z back together with the phase 2 report using a 38mm mikuni from an 85 yz with the wrench report jetting specs. They must have tested there bike in the hills of california cause with a 350 main jet as soon as I punched it to full throttle my piston seized. I am in PA. Well its up and running again this time I put a 400 main in it. I have to say it is nothing short of specatular. This thing is nuts. I thought a 400 was kinda big but it is cold out and the bike seems to like it. It is crisp and friggin flies. Heres my question, I put a new plug in it after I put the 400 in it. I only ran it about 5min in the trail behind my house. I know it is not enough time for the plug to color to determine jetting but I took it out and noticed that on the tip of the ground strap over the electrode it had gotten a white color to it about 1/8 wide. I haven't seen this before and was wondering if anyone has. I have a 6f4 jet needle in it and the clip is all the way down so that is at its richest setting. I can't see going to much bigger on the main. Any info will help.

Thanks Denn

MTS
10-21-2004, 08:49 PM
the white/grey color means its leaning out :)

denn
10-22-2004, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the reply, but I kinda know when it is white/grey it is lean but usually that is on the porcelain this is on the ground strap above that. I was wondering if it has something to do with the heat range of the plug. Also when I pull the choke the bike dosen't stall, it just revs a bit higher at idle. Does anyone else have experience with the phase 2 whench report mods that might have come across this.

Thanks Denn

CHAINSAW
10-22-2004, 07:20 PM
Heres my question, I put a new plug in it after I put the 400 in it. I only ran it about 5min in the trail behind my house. I know it is not enough time for the plug to color to determine jetting but I took it out and noticed that on the tip of the ground strap over the electrode it had gotten a white color to it about 1/8 wide.
Thanks Denn

Thats more then enough time. When doing the plug check, it shouldnt run more then 15 seconds. Start it up, peg it, go up to 4th or 5th gear, pull the clutch in, kill it, and coast to a stop with the machine shut off. Pull the plug and check it. Readjust to how it looks, put in a new plug, and start over. It should be a nice brown color.. like grandmas brownies :)