PDA

View Full Version : Nine kinds of %&$# trying to install kickstarter assem on 350X

ClayW
10-20-2004, 07:30 PM
Guys I am haveing hell putting my new kickstarter gear & assembly back in my 350x. I have the honda manual, but Im a bit lost on part of it. Ok. I have it assembled properly. I lined the hook on the inner spring up with the boss. No problem. I get it in there with no problem. Now is where I get lost. The manual says to temporarily install the kickstarter. I did that. It then says to rotate it clockwise and align the ratchet with the ratchet mechanism? Then let it come back up. Then make sure the punch mark is facing up on the shaft. I can get the assembly in there. When I do the punch mark is at about 10 Oclock. When I rotated it clock wise the it goes back to the same position. Onece the inner spring rotated too much and hooked itself on one of the ports on the cases right side. Then the thrust washer on the end of it fell into the gear box. :rolleyes: After a hour, some swearing, and some creative ideas I fished it out thru the port mentioned above with some 12 guage electrical wire. So. What am I doing wrong? Im lost. I DONT wont to get this thing all back together and have to tear it back down because I did it wrong. :mad: Anyone have any experience in doing this? Howdy? John? HELP!!!!!!

ClayW
10-21-2004, 02:53 PM
Anyone at all know anything?

jeswinehart
10-21-2004, 06:10 PM
after you rotate it clock wise and align the ratchet with the ractchet mechanism ,,, ain't you suposed to tighten the stopper bolt before you let it all go back to where it wants to go ???
stopper bolt - the one that's on the rear (outside) case.

john

ClayW
10-21-2004, 06:21 PM
Well im not sure john. There is a small bracket up in there that has two allen head bolts. One on top and one down on the bottom. Its about 2 inches approx long. Its still in there. Never took it out. Should I take it out and then install the assembly, then rotate it, then reinstall the bracket. The manuals not real clear on this.

Clay

ClayW
10-21-2004, 06:22 PM
I might add that this bracket is on the left side of the kickstarter gear.

jeswinehart
10-21-2004, 07:00 PM
yeah ,,, you might as well try it clay while we are waiting for the REAL 350x pro's to reply ( hrc200x , howdy and the rest of the folks i can't recall as of right now ).

i looked at the part on bikebandit clay ,,,, i'd say after you get your alignment done you need to re-set that kick stop plate (2 inch long plate).

on the other hondas they use a bolt on the back of the motor. i went out and looked at my 350x and there wasn't a stopper bolt on the outside so thats gotta be it.

john

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oem_schematic_view.asp?schem_dept_id=170137&section_dept_id=1&section_dept_name=OEM+%28Stock+Parts%29&dept_type_id=2&model_dept_year=1985&model_dept_mfr=Honda&model_dept_id=170089&model_dept_name=ATC350X

hrc200x
10-21-2004, 10:13 PM
Its been awhile since I did mine and I went through the same thing you are going through, I even dropped the washer on the backside of the shaft into the bottom end and used a magnet to fish it out through the tranny gears.

If I can remember correctly when you temporarly install the kick starter you need to rotate it quite aways before somthing locks into place? I also remember that large gear on the kick start shaft digging into the case while trying to get it to lock into place. If you put the kick start on at about the 12 o'clock position I think it needs to go to about the 5 o'clock position before it somthing snaps into the correct spot.

jeswinehart
10-21-2004, 10:25 PM
that's a great reply hrc200x ,,, that is basically right inline as to what clay + i come with for the most part. i called him on the phone and after him and i kinda worked thru it and refered to other simalar clymer manuals (250es/sx manuals). it was funny as far as clymers said hondas factory method basically sucked and to try their method after you tried the honda way ( and it sounded a whole lots better too )
the five o'clock position is probbly gonna help clay out the most.

john

NOS_350X
10-22-2004, 01:29 AM
Did he get it? or should i throw in my 2 cents?

jeswinehart
10-22-2004, 06:39 AM
i think he's still tinkering with it. i'm gonna send a copy of clymers installation portion of the kicker parts ,,, for a sx + es. they are simalar + have the clymer way of assembly wich they swear by.

john

ClayW
10-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Havent got it yet. I will be working on it this evening and this weekend.

NOS_350X
10-22-2004, 10:21 AM
i think he's still tinkering with it. i'm gonna send a copy of clymers installation portion of the kicker parts ,,, for a sx + es. they are simalar + have the clymer way of assembly wich they swear by.

john
Well I would have to take it appart again and look at it. When I did mine I was fighting with it, and my dad came over and poped it all together. I would have to look at it again to see how he did it so easely.

ClayW
10-22-2004, 06:58 PM
Looks like I might have gotten it. I used the clymer method that john & I talked about and it seems to have worked. The punch mark is facing up, and the gears freely turn. I have it completely reassembled. It will be tommorow or sunday before I get to fire it off and try it. I still have to get the carb and new throttle cable on & Mount the exhaust. Getting close. LOL . Thanks for the help guys, especially you John.

jeswinehart
10-22-2004, 08:01 PM
great !!!

john

ATCnut
10-22-2004, 10:12 PM
I did mine a few weeks ago. I used the instructions from the Honda manual. I remember that I had to futz with it for a few min, then it poped right in. Glad you got yours in.

ClayW
10-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Well, I got her back together and rode it down the hill and back earlier. Kicker works perfect and the clutch seems to also. Not too bad for my first time I guess. I ran into a couple of problem though else where. The front forks are complete crap I guess. One has a good size dent in the lower leg and is bent. The right side is in rough shape. You can wiggle the lower leg back and forth quite a bit. Then I went to put the front hub and wheel assembly back on and ran into a problem. I put new bearings in up front. The axle will NOT thread into the fork leg. The tip of the threads are bugered up a little. Im going to try and gride the tip of it back at a angle on my bench grinder tommorow. Grind it back to where the threads look good. Then try it. If that dont work I guess I will be looking for a axle. Boy it never ends. LOL. Anyway thats the latest on my restoration :beer