PDA

View Full Version : newby in 3 wheeler world

tigertrout
10-19-2004, 07:01 PM
newby

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for those of you who are trying to help ......thanks

The plugs are getting fouled enough to stop the engine and will not let it restart. As soon as I replace the plug it fires up right away and runs for a couple of days ( it seems like but in reality probably 2 hours of total running time).........plugs are black and oily.

the oil on the cylinder head is minimal........maybe a cap full ( beer cap that is ,no more). Exhaust seems to be clear most of the time but when starting runs a bit black, with choke and all.

Today it left me stranded, had to push it back to the truck...........my fault really, didn't bring the spark plug wrench...........( O.K. did I forget to mention that sometimes I'm an idiot)

250Roger
10-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Welcome to the site. Kind of a newbe myself to the site, but not to the sport.

I must have missed your other posts about your maintenance problem except from what I read in this post. What kind of trike do you have?

If its a 2 stroke and your fouling plugs, make the oil in your gas leaner to make a different ratio. I had to do that. I was fouling plugs constantly running 20:1 mixture, which is factory recommended.

I discussed my problem with a tech at a high performance atv store that owns a 86' 250R as well, and he runs 50:1 with the oil they sell. I tried his method considering he has the same year bike and dosen't have any problems and I don't have any more fouling plugs.

My real advise is (if you have a 2 stroke), spend the extra $$ and buy quality oil to mix.

tigertrout
10-19-2004, 07:40 PM
thanks

the original post is 10 or 12 down it lists all the real problems with specs.................. talk to yopu soon