PDA

View Full Version : newby in the 3 wheeler world, has ??????s

tigertrout
10-19-2004, 10:14 AM
Hi guys

I just recently acquired an 1984 or 1985 Honda 200 (atc or ats or something like that) its going through sparking plugs like a working girl or a Friday night.
Its running great but a touch rich and the sparking plugs are getting sufficiently fouled on a fairly regular basis. A fellow I talked to, said that it is probably due to the fact that the needle and seat should be replaced. Any thoughts on that. If there is agreement where would I get needle and seat kit for this machine and what would I expect to pay????

Next thing...............There seems to be oil on the outside, top of the cylinder head, its not burning any oil, that I can see, and I can't feel any leeks from the head gasket, again any thoughts.

thanks in advance

TheOlderFox
10-19-2004, 11:28 AM
How much oil are you talking about? There are o-rings and gaskets that hold back the oil that could have worn out or have been torn. Check to make sure everything is tight.

Mobular
10-19-2004, 01:16 PM
Hi guys

its going through sparking plugs like a working girl or a Friday night.

What would a working girl do with spark plugs????

bonkers_200s
10-19-2004, 01:32 PM
What color is your exhaust? does the fouling stop it form running, or just get the plugs covered in carbon?

And that ring of oil around the head is common for these old girls.

almac16
10-19-2004, 02:21 PM
What would a working girl do with spark plugs????

DIdn't you read the crackpipe thread?? :cool:

Mobular
10-19-2004, 02:22 PM
D'oh!!!!!!

Pistonhead
10-19-2004, 06:20 PM
That one was funny! But I didnt get the joke at the start either!

tigertrout
10-19-2004, 06:59 PM
for those of you who are trying to help ......thanks

The plugs are getting fouled enough to stop the engine and will not let it restart. As soon as I replace the plug it fires up right away and runs for a couple of days ( it seems like but in reality probably 2 hours of total running time).........plugs are black and oily.

the oil on the cylinder head is minimal........maybe a cap full ( beer cap that is ,no more). Exhaust seems to be clear most of the time but when starting runs a bit black, with choke and all.

Today it left me stranded, had to push it back to the truck...........my fault really, didn't bring the spark plug wrench...........( O.K. did I forget to mention that sometimes I'm an idiot)

TheOlderFox
10-19-2004, 07:23 PM
Two things come to mind. Either you are running rich or you are burning oil. Is the plug dry when you remove it?

Try moving the clip on the needle in the carb up one notch so that the needle sits a little further down in the carb. Take it for a good ride and recheck your plug. You may also be able to get away with unscrewing the pilot screw a little so that the carb can draw in more air. You will just need to fiddle with it.

If you can check your compression and looking for a darker exhaust, that will give you an idea if you are burning oil.

As all of us will tell you, if you don't have a manual, you might want to get one. They aren't too bad cost wise and can save you time and frustration...that is if you are the type of guy who would like to work on his own machine. Good luck and keep asking questions if you need. We like seeing new members and new machines around here.