PDA

View Full Version : 86 250R Rear shock question

Fox250R
10-16-2004, 05:17 PM
Im trying to figure out how to get my rear shock stiffer...I can pull up on my grabbar about 4 inches or so and i bottom out alot..Im about 190 and i've never had this problem with anyother shock..The shock was just charged and honda said it doesn't leak..I've adjusted the little screw at the bottom of the shock to hard..I've also raised the rings all the way to the top and its still the same...Any tips would be great...THANKS!

Lots_Of_Nothing
10-16-2004, 05:18 PM
have you adjusted the knob on the resivour?, and are the adjusters on the shock spring tightened the right way (all the way down on the spring)?

Fox250R
10-16-2004, 05:20 PM
I've adjusted the resivour yes but i do have the rings all the way to the top..Should they be on the bottom?

Lots_Of_Nothing
10-16-2004, 05:41 PM
well, did you tightem them against the spring or away from it?, to make it sit higher and be stiffer you tighten them against the spring and that picks the ass end up, loosening them from the spring causes it to sag and be soft.

KASEY
10-16-2004, 08:01 PM
since its not a progressive spring the spring rate does not change when you crank it down so if you keep bottoming out you will need to either get a progressive or stiffer spring,,,

badpig121
10-17-2004, 08:35 AM
Does anyone know of an aftermarket rear shock from, say ELKA or WORKS. I'm a big guy too and I end up looking like this little green guy. :Bounce

YTZ250#1
10-17-2004, 10:12 AM
it sounds to me like you are adjusting the shock spring in the wrong direction.You want to go down with the adjustment(towards the spring)till you get it stiffend up.The adjustment knob at the bottom of the shock is for rebound.That just controls how fast the shock rebounds to the top after compressing it.the knob on the resivor is a compression setting.It controls how firm or soft or fast the shock will compress.If the shock is in good shape and you adjust the compresion to the stiffer side (but not all the way)and the rebound in the middle with the spring compressed down a bit it should be fine.I'm a little over 200 and never had a problem with mine.If you want an after market shock buy an elka for an 86-89 trx.They are pricey but about the best you can get.Hope this helps ya