PDA

View Full Version : how do i check for spark?

kilabeez0
10-16-2004, 04:41 PM
i FINALLY got my 200x back together after like a year and a half. i go to kick it over and nothing. aaaggghhhh. how do i check for spark? i put the plug in the boot and held the tip to the cooling fins and kicked it over and there was no spark. i dont have the little aluminum tip that screws on top of the plug, i dont know how important it is but i dont think it's necessary. can someone give me suggestions?

MTS
10-16-2004, 04:43 PM
take an omes meter and test your coil what the sparkplug boot is connected too..also take the plug wire out and test it with an omes meter too...make sure its a new plug...:)

kilabeez0
10-16-2004, 05:16 PM
actually its the OLD plug from like a year and a half ago.

Meat-BoX
10-16-2004, 05:25 PM
Get a new Plug, Check your wiring harness then kick it over while holding the end of the plug :twisted:
You should get a nice jolt, if not then your fearin it.
If you get a weak jolt then you know you got spark and then it may be the coil.
If you have a little brother have him hold it. :p :rolleyes:

This is the low tech way in case u dont have a ohm meter.

Is your timing correct?

N8s250r
10-16-2004, 06:48 PM
my buddy always holds the plug on his finger. he had a tecate and always had trouble with spark so he started to just hold the plug. he tryed to get me to do it and i laughed at him. if yuo kicjk it lightly just enough to feel it it wont hurt to bad. sometimes its hard seeing when you just touch it to metal.

smokey
10-16-2004, 07:46 PM
i just hold the plug it dont hurt much

84honda 200X
10-16-2004, 07:59 PM
Ya it doesnt hurt much just feels funny. and holding it to the cooling fins is how i check spark.

MTS
10-16-2004, 08:15 PM
bah...iv been shoked and eletricuted so many times..its hard to feel some times lol...my grandpas rototiller for his garden has an 8hp brigs on it and you have to pop the wire off to turn it off...well...that thing gives shock! LOL

hotroddal
10-16-2004, 11:14 PM
i usually just hold the plug in my hand thats always fun it makes me tuffer, or just hold it to the cooling fins.

kilabeez0
10-17-2004, 12:12 AM
what kind of ohm meter do i need to check the coil. i looked online and there are a million different types. and how does it work?

smokinp
10-17-2004, 02:35 AM
I just connect the plug to the coil,then set it on the head and have someone kick the bike over...

sandpuppi101
10-17-2004, 11:22 AM
robo0781 I hope you don't have braces,when I was scrolling down I wastotally into the spark thing and when I saw that I started crying I was laughing so hard.Start with a new plug check your ground on the coil and get a ohm meter like the boy's said another thing is see if you have any juice coming out of the motor and start narrowing it down fro there.Sandpuppi101