PDA

View Full Version : 250sx How much front fork travel?

Chris070780
10-15-2004, 02:54 PM
Just want to know how many inches of travel the front forks have. The other day I changed the fluid in them and it seems to hit bumps very hard, like there is too much oil in them now. I thought I put the recommended about in or maybe I am just use to the nice ride of my kfx400. I think about about 7oz in each fork, but can't remember.

smokinp
10-15-2004, 03:00 PM
I would say that the sx front suspension in pretty weak anyways,you should put a 200x front end on it....

Chris070780
10-15-2004, 03:16 PM
I would switch, but it looks like a lot of work LOL plus I would need to find a front end. I found that the sx has about 5 inches in the front. I think maybe I just ride it faster than I should. ;)

ClayW
10-15-2004, 07:39 PM
I did the same thing. You may have actually overfilled it. I put how much the book said, and it felt like it was too much. Do what I did. Get a allen head wrench or socket and look down on the bottom tip of the fork. You will see the allen head bolt head recessed. Loosen it and take it out. You can do it one side at a time. With it out, get on the bike and slowly lean forward and make the forks recoil a bit. When it does it will squirt some oil out the hole where the bolt was. Take one or two squirts out and put the bolt back in. Do the same amount on each side. Then give it a try. When I first did it on mine, the front suspension was hard as a rock. You could ride a wheelie and let the front end come down and BAM it would hit. I noticed that I didnt have much travel. After taking 2 squirts out each side they were perfect. Didnt bottom out and didnt beat your brains out either. :beer

ATC crazy
10-15-2004, 09:21 PM
Im pretty sure that its 6oz per fork tube. I changed my SX's fluid in 2001 (still had stock fluid in it from the factory) and I put in the recommended ammount of 6oz per tube....Automatic Tranny Fluid works great.

smokinp
10-16-2004, 12:00 PM
I would switch, but it looks like a lot of work LOL plus I would need to find a front end. I found that the sx has about 5 inches in the front. I think maybe I just ride it faster than I should. its that that hard of a job...gets all the parts togther that you will need from the 200x(forks,triples,clamp,tire,rim,bolts etc...)thne take the sx front off,cut the steering stop off,weld a new one on in the oppsite direction and then install the 200x front and get ready to enjoy good suspension!I have a complete 200x front end if you are interested...

Tri-ZNate
10-16-2004, 06:54 PM
About 7 in.