PDA

View Full Version : How does the clutch work?

kilabeez0
10-14-2004, 10:33 PM
I hooked my new cable up to the arm and it wasn't working right, so i took the case off and the spring was bent. long short i cut a piece off and bent it back so now there was a little bit of tension when i pulled the lever but it's not doing anything :evil: what exactly is supposed to be happening when the clutch cable pulls the arm forward?

MTS
10-14-2004, 10:56 PM
when the clutch cabel pulls the arm forward it is supposed to disingage the clutchs so you can shift you need a new spring if you cut it..its too short not enought pull

kilabeez0
10-15-2004, 09:45 AM
i know, but the spring is just wrapped around a shaft. what is the shaft supposed to be spinning on in order to engage or disengage the clutch?

kilabeez0
10-15-2004, 09:58 AM
hey u know wut? i have had a weird looking bolt in my toolbox that fell off my bike and i didn't know where it went. I just looked at the schematic and the bolt is number 8 on the pic of the clutch assembly. It's called the clutch lifter. Is that what is supposed to connect to the shaft I'm referring to?

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/assets/schematics/Honda/H00790016.gif

bigredhead
10-15-2004, 10:14 AM
when you pull the lever, the plates get pulled apart and loose, so the trans can be shifted without load.

when you release the lever, the spring pushes the plates together making friction and grabs what ever gear you are in.

the spring needs to be long and strong enough to push the clutch plates together so they grab and make you go !

MTS
10-15-2004, 01:23 PM
....YES THAT IS the crusial part to making the bike shift..that should have ridges on it and ridges on the clutch shaft..the line up when the shaft gets pulled on it will turn that...no wonder yor clucth wasnt workin :p