PDA

View Full Version : 225DX no spark

offroadguy56
10-14-2004, 10:11 AM
hello all,

I just got a yamaha 225DX out of a field and im not having any luck getting it started.

heres a list of things that ive done so far:
1. clean carb
2. change oil
3. replace spark plug

Im getting gas and air in the cylinder but no spark, the neutral light comes on but intermittantly. If the light comes on it stays on but if it doesnt it takes a little fiddling around with the gear selector.

Any help or tips would be great, im getting a little frustrated with this thing.

Thanks,
OG

MTS
10-14-2004, 10:16 PM
check all the wireing connections and the timeing..if that is all right i would think you need a spark plug wire or coil..also check that the spark plug boot is on the wire all the way :)

smokinp
10-14-2004, 11:54 PM
what does the spark plug look like?

TheOlderFox
10-15-2004, 12:15 AM
The neutral light will need to stay on for you get a spark. If it is not constant, you either have a short or the neutral switch will need to be replaced. They do wear out over time. I would say find the wiring diagram and check for shorts with a tester. Good luck. I like the 225's

edog
10-15-2004, 10:19 AM
They are the best .

bigredhead
10-15-2004, 10:34 AM
remove the plug, put it on the wire, make SURE you are holding the rubber boot and touch the tip of the plug to the head. pull the cord and check if you have any spark at all..

if you do.. pour a tiny bit of gas into the cylinder ( by tiny i mean a squirt or 2 from a spray bottle ) and put the plug back on.. and see if you get fire.

if you don't . it has to be electrical.

if you do.. i'd say it's the carb.

bigredhead
10-15-2004, 10:36 AM
checked the air filter ?

offroadguy56
10-15-2004, 02:49 PM
thanks for the replies, i held the spark plug to the engine and all but i did not get any spark, could the neutral switch have anything to do with it, i get a light but its random. if so how do i bypass this thing.

i have another question may be relevant or not but the electric starter solenoid makes a single click when you hit the start button could this be part of the problem?

OK one more, im not used to this but do i have to take the threaded cap off of the spark plug to use it in the boot??

Thanks so much for the answers i was thinking about junking it and calling it a day but there might be light at the end of the spark plug so to speak

TheOlderFox
10-15-2004, 03:06 PM
To bypass the switch, just pull the wire off the end of the switch in the engine (behind the shifter). There is a connector there, so it should just disconnect. Ground that wire to the frame and make sure you are in neutral before trying to start it. That should do it. I had to do that to my most recent project 225 because that neutral switch was too warn so it would never ground inside the case.

The solenoid should only click on when you hit the start button and click off when you release it. You don't need a working solenoid to pull it over though.

I don't remember about the plug without looking at it. I want to say that it doesn't need the cap. Try unscrewing it, put the plug into the spark boot and see if it feels like it is catching. If it is designed to not use that little screw cap, it should partially grab the threads of the spark plug. Good luck. Feel free to ask more questions about the 225. There are a few of us on here who have worked on them.

offroadguy56
10-15-2004, 10:27 PM
good news and bad news,

the good is that i got the neutral grounded and the light goes on and stays on.

the bad, i cant seem to find the distributor and half the screws and bolts are rusted into place.

is the coil where the spark plug boot attaches to the black box thing??

man i probably sound like an idiot right now but im used to working on diesels, been doin it for years, so if i sound retarded its because i am :p

thanks

TRI-Zbrian
10-15-2004, 10:35 PM
if it was sitting out in a field chances are there is water behind the fly wheel cover... pull that off and clean the surface of the coils in there very lightly with some sand paper...... see if that does any thing for you at all :Bounce

offroadguy56
10-15-2004, 10:39 PM
thanks ill try that tomorrow when i have a little more light

edog
10-16-2004, 11:51 AM
The coil is under the gas tank.Take it off and check its omhs rateing.See if it still has continuity

Pistonhead
10-16-2004, 12:10 PM
i have another question may be relevant or not but the electric starter solenoid makes a single click when you hit the start button

I have a truck that does the same thing :D