PDA

View Full Version : Tecate question

HO Cummins
10-13-2004, 04:58 PM
Hey, I'm new to the board. I have an 84 Tecate and heard the terminology
of A1, A2, B1, and B2. Is this just the year they were built? Like 84/A1, 85/A2, 86/B1 and 87/B2? What is the difference between A and B series?
Is it the front fork area? Also my Tecate is red in color. Have seen just a couple pictures (and never another one in person). Is it kinda rare?

cliff2302
10-13-2004, 07:06 PM
you are correct on the terminology. The dfiierence wetween the A series and the B series is like comparing apples and oranges. The B series have powervalved motors, they have the radiators mounted on the frame, different palstics all around including huge shrouds that come off the tank. The front and rear suspension was upgraded. 84 T3's had drum front brakes. 85's switched to disk. Bseries had a narrow front tire instead of the wide one. Look at pictures on this site, there is a part where they show pics of every trike made. You will notice the difference. and for the rare part, it is kinda of rare. i dont know if it is worth more money, i think it is all a preference thing. Is it just me, or do more and more tecate owners seem to be coming out of the wood work? Its nice to see that there are more alive and running than we previously thought. If you need any more secific info, just ask.

atckowalski
10-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Welcome to the board! I too have a red 84 Tecate and I also live in Michigan (Alpena). Show us some pics. :Bounce :TrikesOwn

Meat-BoX
10-13-2004, 11:01 PM
Tecate here in NY :TrikesOwn

Tecate250
10-13-2004, 11:27 PM
Sweet ride.
When and if I get mine back, im going to paint my frame pruple and my red tank im painting white.

HO Cummins
10-14-2004, 09:32 AM
Thanks Cliff for the reply. My dad bought it new in 84 along with a Honda
110 for me to ride in 84. I think I was 8 years old when we got these and
started riding. We got out of riding over the years, sold mine to put money
towards my first car. But dad never sold his. We were cleaning out the barn
about 6 years ago and came across it. It was still in mint condition with a
sheet covering it. I didn't know if it ran but he was real good in fogging the
cylinder down if he wasn't going to ride it for a while. Well, new gas, new plug and a few kicks later it started, and ran like a champ. I put carbon fiber
reeds in it, he already had a dg pipe and silencer on it. Other than that it's
all original even the tires. I'll post some pictures of it. I ride it maybe 2-3 times a year to keep it happy. Prolly keep it till I die. I like the looks and
handling of the later Tecates but you gotta like the old school fat front tire,
short wheelbase and scary power of 84-85's.

Billy Golightly
10-14-2004, 10:22 AM
Hey welcome to the forum HO Cummins! You aren't by any chance from the TDR, are you?

trikerider2oo7
10-14-2004, 04:11 PM
welcome to the board...let see some pics of your trike

Jeb
10-21-2004, 12:08 PM
Welcome! I had a red 84 KXT250 for a long time.

As far as the red color scheme, seems to me like there are as many red 84's if not more than the green 84's. True red 85's seem to be more rare than the green 85's.

cliff2302
10-21-2004, 02:49 PM
i thought red was only an option in 84? i may be wrong, i dont remember ever hearing that, maybe i just assumed it. any clarification guys?