PDA

View Full Version : yet another dumb ?

tecatecrazy
01-06-2003, 09:47 PM
would a motorcross shock absorber (bike) work on a trike? The reason that I am asking is that I noticed that the mid 80s kaws had a unitrak system very similar to the ones the used on their tecates. Just a thought.---Joe 8)

ATCRYDER
01-06-2003, 11:01 PM
ABout every shock is differant. Youve got to be alot more specific, Joe.

Im researching that right now for my R ;0)

tecatecrazy
01-06-2003, 11:21 PM
well the specific shock that I was looking at is for a kx250 of the 86 vintage. After giving it some thought it would probably fit but, it is set up for an obviously lighter machine and wouldnt work well. I am such a tight trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro though that it might be worth a shot if I can get it cheep enough rather than spend $150+ on a rebuild of the one I have.lol---Joe 8)

Jeroboam7
01-07-2003, 12:39 AM
I don't think that the spring rates would be that much different between a dirt bike and a atv, the problem that I would be a little weary of is the valving itself. There is alot more unsprung weight in the rear end of your trike than there is in the rear end of a bike.

Also I believe you may have trouble finding one that is an acceptable length.

tecatecrazy
01-07-2003, 01:01 AM
I dont quite understand your post jeroboam7, what do you mean that there is more unsprug weight. I understand that the swinger, axel and all of that weigh alot more but the shock doesnt carry this weight ...well ...unless your airborn i guess. Do you think that the swinger would pull down too hard when off of the ground or what. 'cuase when the wheels are on the ground the swinger shouldnt have much effect and I wouldnt think that the rest of the trike is that much heavier than a bike. Please explain it to me like I'm 5. I having a hard time trying to figure it out on my own. :? lol Thanks----Joe 8)

Jeroboam7
01-07-2003, 01:23 AM
Well your right it doesn't matter when just sitting on the ground, but I would be concerened about how the valving allowed travel I would think you would have little resistence in the shock when the rearend is traveling towards the ground and too much resistence when the rearend was traveling towards the trike.

Also what about swing arm geometry a bike shock is closer to the pivot point than that of a trike!

I'm just thinking of Hondas and Yamahas here so I may be all screwed up, I have the bikes and manuals in the garage I guess I could go check it out and do some Jethro Bodine cyphiring and come up with a decent assesment if you wanted me to!

Jeb
01-07-2003, 02:50 PM
I don't think any KX shock will work on the KXT, especially the 84/85 model. The 84 & 85 Tecate shocks won't even interchange according to the Kawasaki Manuals I have. The frame and linkage is different to the trained eye. The 85 had more travel than the 84. I don't even think an 86 KX shock will go onto an 86 KXT. The dirt bikes have more travel and I think the shock is a bit longer.

If you try it and it works, let us know. :-D