PDA

View Full Version : Low Range.. anyone use it ?

bigredhead
10-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Got an 84 Big Red 200 ES.

It's got H L and Reverse.

So far i have not found too many uses for low range as high takes me anywhere i want to go, and Low just revvs out way too quickly and won't get the wheels spinning fast enough in mud unless you're in like 3rd or 4th.

I've towed with the BR a few times, but left it in High as it pulled away in first easily. towing an oil drum on a 2 wheel trailer filled 1/2 way up with gravel ! ( i'd say about 500 + lbs. )

PlatinumDogg
10-12-2004, 05:20 PM
Iv used low range trailprotrailpro couple times, dragging deer or something. Once at home, we had to move this old freezer, so nothing would get at it besides my trike, so we popped it into low range and dragged this 700lb plus freezer!!! :TrikesOwn

We had to have my dad and brother sit on the back of the trike for grip, but she still pulled the freezer like crazy :Bounce

atcmatt
10-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Nope i never really used it on my 200es, although it was cool just knowing it was there. I once towed (with my 200es) a car box trailer and in the box trailer was a locked up alt185 and its owner (full grown man) and my brother was on the back of my red. That was a heavy load but she pulled it with flying colours. The old bigreds never lack power, only traction to the back wheels and turning it. I'd say thats the reason why they dropped the hi/low on the 250es, cause it wasnt needed.

Matt

cliff2302
10-12-2004, 07:23 PM
I use it more than i use high. I give my 3 year old niece alot of rides on the BR, so i like to start out in second, and short shift into third. i've found its easier to drive with one hand while in lo. Also, when i drive it, its usually just for work around the house. it isn't my woods cruiser, so i rarely use hi.

Mobular
10-12-2004, 08:18 PM
Low range is great for technical rock crawling and picking your way through really tight rough stuff, or breaking new trails.

smokinp
10-13-2004, 01:03 PM
I use low range for plowing with my 200es and it gets the job done!I will post some pics once I get my plow and chains on this winter....

trikerider2oo7
10-13-2004, 08:03 PM
i dont normlly use it for regular riding but it is good for haulin stuff in a wagon behind it. i hooked a trailer full of gravel to it and in high range, it wouldnt move but i put it in low range and the ole big red pulled it like nothing

TRI-Zbrian
10-13-2004, 08:13 PM
lol those things are like tanks when they are in low range :Bounce

250rAL
10-14-2004, 10:04 AM
Back when I had a 110, there were times you HAD to use low. It just didn't have much power. Put it in low though and it couldn't be stopped. I pulled a full sized pickup with it and also dragged railroad ties though the woods to make a bridge. If you've never tried to pick a RR tie up, they're HEAVY.